JumboSpot Transmits But Does Not Receive

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
NC3M

JumboSpot Transmits But Does Not Receive

Post by NC3M »

I have a JumboSpot that transmits (Information passed to display) but I don't receive any audio. I am running it with a TID TD-9800 UHF HT. I have confirmed that all the Pi-Star settings appear to be correct. I tried a test on Parrot with no success.

Any ideas what could the issue could be?
n9mxq

Re: JumboSpot Transmits But Does Not Receive

Post by n9mxq »

NC3M wrote:I have a JumboSpot that transmits (Information passed to display) but I don't receive any audio. I am running it with a TID TD-9800 UHF HT. I have confirmed that all the Pi-Star settings appear to be correct. I tried a test on Parrot with no success.

Any ideas what could the issue could be?
Have you verified that its actually transmitting? Using an SDR, or an analog HT do you hear/see anything?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
VK3SIR

Re: JumboSpot Transmits But Does Not Receive

Post by VK3SIR »

The most common problem with any of the JumboSpots is the Chinese Oscillators … They are not that accurate.

As a result you have no choice but to play around with the Configuration / Expert / MMDVMHost Settings !

For RX, This means adjusting the "RX Offset" value (default is 0) positive or negative - via trial and error - until you can see on the PiStar Dashboard that you are recording "Local RF Activity".

The way that I do it is to have 2 windows open - one just monitoring the Dashboard and the other for adjusting the "RX Offset" value. Adjust in 100 Hz increments (either direction) until you start recording on the dashboard. Via trial and error you will eventually settle on a value that gives you the lowest BER....

There are truckloads of posts on multiple systsems on how to set the "RXOffset" and "TXOffsets". Note that I also have other methods - some involving spectrum analyzers [ that can also be accurately guesstimated with simple RTL-based SDR's], but what I have described here is the "KIS" method... Keep it Simple.

Around 25% of the problems that I see in people's devices are related to these offset values; 75% of issues relate to radio code-plugs. It is not simple for the beginner and often some that have been using systems for a while still have errors in their understanding. [ Its like the old "Off Centre Fed Dipole" that we hear about from many Amateurs ;-) ] . Find a good mentor with a good "Batwing" background if you can !

From my experience - no two radios are the same (and I have a MD380, various GD-77's and a genuine "Batwing" here) - even if they have come out of the same manufacturer (as is the case with the GD and MD devices). All try to emulate the "Batwing" "Mototrbo CPS" software and its concepts badly … A good "batwing" guru that is well versed on the "Mototrbo CPS" software is like gold when working with DMR and translating the concepts to many of the cheap Chinese radios that we have !

Barring this, Google is very much your friend - as well as learning the correct terminology to put into Google to find your solutions [ I admit openly that i still have heaps to learn] . Use the terms "mmdvm_pi_hat" (never hat on its own or you get millions of results relating to cap sales) first with your simple query and you are often led to information that will guide !

Steve I - VK3VM / VK3SIR