Board identification

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
SV1IW

Board identification

Post by SV1IW »

Hello all
Can someone identify the modem type for Pi-Star use? Also does anyone successfully used with it MMDVMCal program?
Modem is attached in foto
mmdvm.jpg
mmdvm.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 7564 times
Thank in advance
Manos SV1IW
SV1IW

Re: Board identification

Post by SV1IW »

Well Iit looks like no one has got this modem or what? On Pi-Star I have register it as STM32-DVM / MMDVM_HS - Raspberry pi_HAT (GPIO) and does work ok on D* and DMR. I would like to update the firmware will this commend from a terminal do it? sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_hat can someone confirm this ?
Regards
Manos SV1IW
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

You might want to ask the manufacturer or seller.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
SV1IW

Post by SV1IW »

Toshen forget the seller, he just sells goods, no matter if he sells bake rolls or rockets, he knows nothing. The manufacturer has a blog spot where you can't post and a FB group which was filed yesterday (that mean you can only see info, you can't post, comment etc. Have tried all these but got to a dead end...
Thanks anyway
Manos SV1IW
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

My question is - if the board works, on D-Star and DMR, what other modes did you want/need?

Also if this does work the command for the upgrade of firmware of sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_hat is confirmed.

There is another board you could try (similar to the STM32_MMDVM but it has 2 call signs in its description (can't remember them off hand) and see if that works or if that hoses your abilities, and I can almost certainly say it's not a Zumspot board.

The one with the two call signs has a different firmware updat command, but it is not showing on my setup anymore as to what that command is like it did before.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
SV1IW

Post by SV1IW »

Hi there Charles and thank you for the reply. Let me explain why I am looking for more information. As you said and I can confirm, DMR and D* work fine. On this particular setup/modem DMR is the only mode I need. But while you hear the modulated sound on an analog radio you can hear a pilot tone around +-1200Hz which is sent along with the signal during the whole transmission. On commercial systems (repeaters/my openspot etc), this pilot tone doesn't exist. Although it seems not to have an impact in performance I would like to be 100% sure about this, hence the search. I have seen a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EY5gMES6Jo where you can hear the difference. The first DMR sample is the typical one while the second is what I have. Firmware is reported as MMDVM 20180327 and I suspect that this is the MMDVM firmware for Arduino due and probably updates ok through update/upgrade of pi-star.
The other modem you are referring to is probably from BG3MDO/M6IDO which is similar with mine and marked as "open hardware" as well.
I hope it is more clear now...
Regards
Manos SV1IW
CA6JAU

Post by CA6JAU »

Please don't worry about 1.2 kHz tone in MMDVM/DMR DMO, this will not produce any problem in your radios. This tone was used in MMDVM/MMDVM_HS firmware to fill the "empty slot" when you are using DMR DMO mode, this was a practical solution because you can't switch on/off quickly the baseband radio in a MMDVM system. If you don't want the tone, you need to update the firmware of your board (compile the MMDVM firmware and upload) to the latest version (https://github.com/g4klx/MMDVM). This tone was replaced for a random sequence, then you can't note any unusual "sound" in the DMR signal.
SV1IW

Post by SV1IW »

This is great Andy, thank you very much. As this is going to be used as a repeater (I just do not have the duplexer right now) will the tone remains? Also let me know how do I update the firmware, through pi-star flash commands, else? It is good to know anyway for the future...

Manos SV1IW
CA6JAU

Post by CA6JAU »

In duplex mode you will not have any fill tone, because you actually use the two slots. There is not command in pi-star for MMDVM firmware (just for personal hotspots like based on MMDVM_HS). You can only compile the firmware, but I don't recognize that board.
SV1IW

Post by SV1IW »

Well in that case I am good to go like it is. There will not be any dramatic difference. I think I saw the procedure somewhere and it needs to git a lot of stuff before compilation. I do this on another system with a zum spot though, with which I am familiar. Thanks anyway there is no point to search any further...73