Radio Info Panel showing Trx Blank

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
G0odp

Radio Info Panel showing Trx Blank

Post by G0odp »

Hi, I'm a total newby to DMR and have bought a Chinese MMDVM board.... extract from AliExpress page
------
UHF VHF MMDVM hotspot pi-star Support P25 DMR YSF for raspberry pi + Antenna
Technical support website: jumbospot17.blogspot.com
Best version on aliexpress :
1.Latest version V1.6, and the firmware is latest
2. original cystal : Original ECS-TXO-3225-147.4-TR from USA
3. With white on-board antenna
-----

I've connected it to my Pi3 Model B and followed the installation instructions from Matt M6CEB Youtube video. But I get a blank panel on the Pi-Star Radio Info - Trx panel....... it seems to indicate to me that the board is not communicating with the Pi.
I'm running FW HS_Hat:v1.3.3 (not that I know how to change this!) and
Pi-Star_RPiB+_V3.4.16_10-Aug-2018.img

Has anyone any ideas? Much appreciated.
Paul, G0odp
W1KMC

Re: Radio Info Panel showing Trx Blank

Post by W1KMC »

1- if your firmware is showing HS_Hat 1.3.3 you are WAY behind -- from command line (or COnfig->Expert->SSH Access run:

sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_hat [enter] HS_Hat should be (either)1.4.6 or 1.4.8 -- a friend is 1.4.8 but mine won't take it so 1.4.6 also is acceptable.

2 if you push PTT what happens...nothing? did the aliexpress people give you a paper or sticker(on bottom of radio board) with a number on in offset -500 or 375 or some number? well this is the boards TX/RX offset in hz -- these boards are almost never spot on frquency so you have to tell pistar the offset.

Configuration->Expert->MMDVM host --in the MODEM section you will see TX Offest and RX offset, you need to put the number you were given with the board in these two spots and apply changes. If youwere NOT told the offset then its a trial and error type hunt. Start at 100 and apply changes then open another tab to watch your dashboard -- PTT and see if anything happens - if so, then watch the BER (Bit Error Rate) you want this as low as possible < 1.0 is good enough(I have seen 0.1 but not lately) if nothing repeat in increments of 100 until someting happens (positive and negitive should be tried usually negative on ones I've worked on.

Once you get something to happen usually BER is Higher that 8, now start adjusting by 10's and when down to 2 or less try by ones for the lowest BER you can get.

Try these on your own, but if you need my help (you are in England, so I am on SKype) and you will have to do some looking for the username (won't put it out in forums but a PM or search for my name on Google, you'll get clues. My Skype is always on and set to accept calls from anyone (it's my other business) so a contact request is not necessary but if you do put a name and call sign in the original request, so I know it's not spam.

Good Luck
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
G0odp

Post by G0odp »

Yippeeeeee, THANKS Kevin, I had upgraded the firmware before your reply with no difference but entering the offset sorted it out. I guess I was scared off by the lack of the comment 'Listening' in that Trx panel; it just seemed it wasn't connecting! Lots to learn.

Now I'm getting a response when I transmit on the hotspot freq, 434.000 here in UK; the BER is 2.6% which is high I guess so I'll play with the offset to reduce that.

Thanks so much again, if you get over here there's a drink waiting for you.
Paul
G0odp

Post by G0odp »

Kevin, now got it to 0.3% (BER), with 800 offset.
Thanks again for your help.
Paul, G0odp, Beautiful Dorset, England