pistar-mmdvmcal - board not supported

DV-Mega Single / Dual band Hat for the Raspberry Pi
W8ADA

pistar-mmdvmcal - board not supported

Post by W8ADA »

I have been trying to run the "pistar-mmdvmcal" command on my RPI 3 B+ and DVMEGA dual band board to set the RxOffset and I am running into a "board not supported" error.

Am I missing something obvious; does the jumper wire need to be in place just to use "pistar-mmdvmcal" or is the DVMEGA truly not compatible with the "pistar-mmdvmcal" routine?

I am running:
Pi-Star:4.1.0-RC6
DVMEGA - HR3.26

This is the output I see from SSH:

pi-star@pi-star(rw):~$ sudo pistar-mmdvmcal
Stopping Pi-Star Services...
Killing any remaining MMDVMHost processes...
MMDVMHost: no process found
MMDVMHost_NoOLED: no process found
MMDVMHost_Adafruit: no process found
Starting Calibration...
Version: 1, description: DVMEGA HR3.26
Board not supported
Starting Pi-Star Services...
Finnished...
pi-star@pi-star(ro):~$

Any advice would be appreciated.
K8HIT

Re: pistar-mmdvmcal - board not supported

Post by K8HIT »

KE7FNS Can you elaborate on this?

I upgraded the firmware a while ago to fix the Icom deviation problem. Is this upgrade what took me away from the 'original MMDVM firmware'?

What's the difference between the MMDVM and a DVMega, I thought they were the same until I read your reply.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

No, dvmega is not a MMDVM modem.

Dvmega firmware is not MMDVM firmware.

MMDVMhost was written for use with MMDVM modems.
With support added for the dvmega.

MMDVMcal (pistar-cal) works with MMDVM modems (MMDVM firmware)

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

K8HIT wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:22 pm What's the difference between the MMDVM and a DVMega, I thought they were the same until I read your reply.
That's like asking, "What's the difference between a Windows PC and a Mac?" Both are computers that run software, but that doesn't mean they're the same.

There are several different main categories of radio/modem boards (for example, MMDVM-based, DVMEGA, openSPOT). Each category uses its own firmware. Both the MMDVM-based radio/modem boards and DVMEGA radio/modem boards can use the Pi-Star dashboard, despite the fact that they run different firmware (the openSPOT has its own dashboard and doesn't work with Pi-Star).

MMDVMCal is a software utility that was written for radio/modem boards that use MMDVM-based firmware. It won't work with the DVMEGA or the openSPOT. It's similar to the CPS programs that we all use to program the codeplugs for our digital radios: they'll run on a Windows PC, but not on a Mac.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
K8HIT

Post by K8HIT »

When you put it in those terms I guess I thought mmdvm was the firmware on a DVMega.

I now understand they are different hardware devices.

Is there any other way to determine offsets, other than the trial and error method for a DVMega? I just purchased a Rigol DSO5104 and I am eager to use it for practical applications in the shack.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I'm not aware of any other way to do it with a DVMEGA. I've actually never had to do it with my two DVMEGA boards. But I have used the manual method with other boards, and found it easy and relatively quick. One thing: don't worry about the BER unless it's above 1%. And if you do the fine tuning and get it down to 0.5% or less, you're golden.

In case it's helpful, here are instructions for the manual method:
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star-n ... #tuningber
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm