I edited this post, after looking close, I realized I had a typo in the name of the Japan file, I mistakenly typed 336, it should have been 326.
****Updated post below****
I'm adding my post to this thread, since the title is just about exactly like I would create.
The following is based on a DUAL BAND DVMEGA attached to a Raspberry PI 3. Read all the way to the bottom FIRST, before starting to do any of this.
The new v3.26 DVMEGA firmware is now available at: http://www.dvmega.auria.nl/Downloads.html
I have used the directions at this Pi-Star Wiki page: http://wiki.pistar.uk/Flash_your_DV-Mega_from_Pi-Star
2 or 3 times in the past, to flash my DVMEGA while running the Pi-Star image and it was very simple and successful. Tuesday, it would not work for me over the course of 3 tries.
First let me point out that the file those instructions at the Pi-Star Wiki point to (as of Sept. 27, 2018, the time stamp on this post) is for the previous firmware, v3.19, so if you just copy and paste the commands, it will update your DVMEGA to v3.19, or, if that is what you have already, it will really do nothing.
****NOTE**** I'm sure sometime in the near future, Andy or someone will fix this, so my method may not be needed at a later date, check to see what file the directions point to.
Wednesday night I got it to work, by changing a few things, just sharing this for others, it worked for me, I hope it can work for you
My failed attempts would show the proper version (DVMEGA HR3.26), on the dashboard, and I could see activity over the network, but my DVMEGA would not transmit that signal, nor would it hear my radio talk to it (I tried this with C4FM, DMR and D-Star)
During these attempts, I took all references to 319 and changed them to 326, to get and unzip the proper file, I still had problems. After looking closer, I noticed that the .zip file with the firmware contained 3 files:
I decided that the JAPAN file might be the problem, since on the DVMEGA download site, it has a separate listing for a Japan DVMEGA, so here are the steps I took...
I followed the first 3 steps as listed. when I got to step 4, I made a correction, I changed this line... (I added a space between www and . to keep these from displaying as a clickable link and truncating
to this line...
Then in step 5, for the SECOND of 2
commands, I changed this line...
unzip -j -d dvmega DVMEGA_RH_V319_UNO.zip
unzip -j -d dvmega DVMEGA_RH_V326_RPI.zip
For some reason, the directions jump to step 7, there is no step 6. After running the FIRST of 2
commands in step 7, I did the following...
***Let me state for the record here, I am by far NOT an expert at Linux
, but I downloaded the DVMEGA .zip file to my Windows computer, and the http://www.pistar.uk/downloads/dvmega-flash-tools.zip
unzipped them, and looked to see what was there. In the "flash_gpio.sh" file for the tools, it directs for a [ *.hex ] (no brackets), since as shown above, there are 2 .hex files in the DVMEGA zip file, I'm not sure how this would be handled, but I decided to get rid of the JAPAN file, so, picking up where I left off, after running the FIRST of 2 commands in step 7,
I ran this command...
to delete (ReMove) the JAPAN file, then I proceeded with the directions as listed on the Wiki page. This worked for me.
As with most directions you can find on the Internet, this is just what worked for me, I do not foresee anyone having a problem doing the same, but if you follow my lead, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! I WILL NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, BUY YOU A REPLACEMENT DVMEGA IF YOU BRICK YOURS!
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and Good Luck!