Audio not passing on NXDN

Help with NXDN issues
K6HP

Audio not passing on NXDN

Post by K6HP »

Has anyone else noted that audio is not passing on 65000? I tried one other talk group but haven't tried them all. A friend tried talking to me on the same two talk groups and he has the same issue - NO RECEIVE audio !!!
Also, most of the time the Nextion screen and the Dashboard (Pi-Star) seem to be stuck in "Listening" mode after someone has transmitted. Furthermore, after a little more trial it does seem that the audio from NXDN is traveling cross-mode, in this case to YSF / FCS but still not coming out on the receiving NXDN radio. My friend noted he could hear me talking NXDN to YSF / FCS - cross mode with his YSF radio - but at same time the audio was not received on his NXDN radio. While watching this, when he was talking, I noted that even though the Dashboard is indicating a TX occurring, the Zumboard is not showing a PTT LED active.

Has there been a recent update on Pi-Star? My dashboard shows latest as of 06-23-2018 but my friend thinks there was one overnight last night.
Thoughts? Comments? Anyone else noted a no receive on their NXDN radio and or the hotspot board not showing a PTT LED when receiving on the Dashboard (radio RX when hotspot is TX)?
NXDN audio (TX and RX) was working a day ago.
Ed
K6HP
K6HP

Re: Audio not passing on NXDN

Post by K6HP »

Found the issue...if you have no receive audio on NXDN you need to update the firmware on the Zumspot. I do not know if this is true for any other hotspot.
Ed
K6HP
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

That makes sense. I'm pretty sure all the boards capable of the recently added NXDN capability required firmware updates to fully support those capabilities.

In addition to looking for posts about firmware updates on this forum, I also keep an eye on: https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_HS. I just looked now and see that another firmware update, from 1.3.7 to 1.4.0, was released yesterday for the "ZUMspot or MMDVM_HS based boards," which adds the firmware support for the POCSAG capability that Adrian has been telling us is coming soon.

I didn't know what POCSAG is when Adrian first mentioned it. Per Wikipedia, it's "an asynchronous protocol used to transmit data to pagers."
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Due to some changes/fixes in MMDVMHost - yes you need 1.4.x chain of firmware on all MMDVM_HS/MMDVM and comparable boards for NXDN to work correctly - we didnt catch that before the binaries were released sadly, but Andy has released new firmware too - and the firmware update tools on Pi-Star already support it!
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
K6HP

Post by K6HP »

I was at 3.4.15 version and dashboard of 6-23-18 when the audio not passing started the other day. Prior to that NXDN worked fine.

It was a new update that caused the lack of audio to pass. Once resolved it is working fine again. So, it was the MMDVM change that caused the NXDN audio to not pass until I updated. Just FYI for someone that suddenly wasn't getting NXDN audio.
Ed
K6HP