High Power Hotspot Help

Help with other MMDVM Repeater Boards (with NO onboard RF)
KJ7EPB

High Power Hotspot Help

Post by KJ7EPB »

Raspberry Pi Model 2 B
Chinese MMDVM Board ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/MMDVM-DMR-Repe ... SwVx5bwFnl
Motorola Radius GM300
PiStar Version: V3.4.17_20 Jan-2019 fully updated

I am trying to set up a high powered hotspot. Currently I have a Raspberry Pi loaded up with Pi-Star, a MMDVM board, and it's wired to a Motorola radio. I have it setup to connect to a server and of course it can see everything like a regular hotspot. When there is activity on the talkgroup I've chosen I hear digital being transmitted through my radio. The problem I am having is getting my TYT MD-380 or a Radioddity GD-77 to talk to it or hear it. The green LED lights up as it can hear the RF but it's not decoding the digital and the same goes when I key the radio it doesn't touch the high power hotspot. I have the Pi-Star configured as simplex node. From doing a lot of reading/research I've found such things as the radio might need to be setup to do narrow FM instead of wide but I've also read that shouldn't be a problem. I've tried inverting TX and RX. I feel like I've tried just about everything and am getting pretty frustrated because it seems like it should be so simple. Does anyone have some good ideas as to what might be going on or what to look for? Thanks in advance.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: High Power Hotspot Help

Post by M1DNS »

Research mmdvmcal or
pistar-mmdvmcal
You need to calibrate the radio offsets
Also you should have audio adjustment on the board.
It's a tedious task to fine-tune a wide area install that's
using an analogue node radio.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KJ7EPB

Re: High Power Hotspot Help

Post by KJ7EPB »

Hey thanks for the reply! I mistakenly assumed that mmdvmcal was for the RF model hotspots only. I will have to dig into that this weekend and get it straightened out. Thanks again!