Having more settings in firmware & Pistar

Other All-in-one MMDVM with on-board RF
IZ4FXT

Having more settings in firmware & Pistar

Post by IZ4FXT »

Reposting of two topics, valid also for these boards, hoping an answer... Sorry and Thank You

by KE0FHS » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:36 pm
I've been having some issues with the stability of the BER of my MMDVM_HS Hat hotspot when using DMR recently, and can't get it down to a low enough level. Can't say for sure what the root cause is, but it has happened since the latest firmware updates to 1.3.6/7 (also since the upgrades to 3.4.14/15). (Not having this issue with my ZUMspot hotpsot with same updates/upgrades, and using the same radio.) It has been recommended to me that I enable AFC in ADF7021.h. Can anyone provide some fairly easy-to-follow instructions for how I might edit this firmware file (for someone who has never before edited a firmware file)? I use both a Mac and Windows machine, as well as my RPi running Pi-Star, and I have another RPi running Raspbian, so I could use any of those environments, I guess. Thanks.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS

Post by IZ4FXT » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Hi,
I've to add a request following this one.
In my opinion, would be very useful to have in Pistar platform, settings for RX also; i.e. in ADF7021 (drag and drop from datasheet): " LNA has two basic operating modes: high gain/low noise mode and low gain/low power mode. To switch between these two modes, use the LNA_MODE bit (R9_DB25). The mixer is also configurable between a low current and an enhanced linearity mode using the MIXER_LINEARITY bit (R9_DB28)." and: "The gain of the LNA is configured by the LNA_GAIN bits (R9_DB[20:21]) and can be set by either the user or the automatic gain control (AGC) logic."

It is possible to upgrade Pistar & firmware, as to give us the possibility to set these parameters ( and AFC also of course :-) ) in order to obtain the most useful RX performance to each one of us?

Thank You in advance!!!
Stefano IZ4FXT

PS: I need to know how the "RFlevel" parameter works to the power output: is this number in % of the maximum power of 20mW of the hat?
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Having more settings in firmware & Pistar

Post by MW0MWZ »

The figure is % for RF Level.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
KE0FHS

Re: Having more settings in firmware & Pistar

Post by KE0FHS »

FYI, my old issue turned out to be a bad board.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm