Need help with new TGIF spot

Help with D-Star related issues
ve3mrx

Need help with new TGIF spot

Post by ve3mrx »

I have a TGIF Spot up and running and I am able to make my way around DMR talk groups. This is all new to me, although I am a 40 year plus Ham.
I would like help using the D-star screen and would like to connect to a local repeater that has D-star. And I cannot find any instructions. Any referral to utube or other net site is appreciated. de ve3mrx Bill 73
AF6VN

Re: Need help with new TGIF spot

Post by AF6VN »

The first question is (since you mention DMR): Do you have a D-Star radio? DMR and D-Star are incompatible protocols and you'll need a radio for each mode.

Second matter: it is not that common to connect to a /repeater/ using a hotspot. Typically one would activate a /reflector/ that is also active on the repeater. Routing direct to a repeater falls into the category of "call sign routing".

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
ve3mrx

Post by ve3mrx »

First I wasn't sure about needing a dstar radio for that mode, and I do have one, the kenwood th-d74. There is only one dstar repeater I can hit that has internet access. So that would still be a bonus.

And I thought that you could link one dstar repeater to another. Is that wrong.

Thanks for the reply.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

ve3mrx wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:55 pm First I wasn't sure about needing a dstar radio for that mode, and I do have one, the kenwood th-d74. There is only one dstar repeater I can hit that has internet access. So that would still be a bonus.

And I thought that you could link one dstar repeater to another. Is that wrong.
If you haven't done it yet, you might want to download https://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info ... AE_IDM.pdf (they call it an "in depth manual" but it's really just a pair of detailed articles on using the APRS mode, and D-STAR features. Page 29 and 36 may be of most interest. Also, have you registered your call sign with the D-STAR system (if not registered, all you can do is local CQ -- page 33)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
ve3mrx

Re: roadblock with dstar on TH-D74 and TGIF spot

Post by ve3mrx »

Ok, thanks for the help and advice. I have made some progress. I went to W6GPS utubes and followed it as best as I could. My ThD74 is programmed for a hotspot like a repeater, with cqcqcq MYCAll VE3MRX rpt 1 as VE3MRX B and rpt 2 as VE3MRX G. My hotspot shows the right stuff, as does my dashboard on pistar. And it shows my callsign when I key up. BUT nobody can hear me! I obviously have something set wrong.

The TGIF spot works with DMR and an anytone radio.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Bill
AF6VN

Re: roadblock with dstar on TH-D74 and TGIF spot

Post by AF6VN »

ve3mrx wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:18 pm Ok, thanks for the help and advice. I have made some progress. I went to W6GPS utubes and followed it as best as I could. My ThD74 is programmed for a hotspot like a repeater, with cqcqcq MYCAll VE3MRX rpt 1 as VE3MRX B and rpt 2 as VE3MRX G. My hotspot shows the right stuff, as does my dashboard on pistar. And it shows my callsign when I key up. BUT nobody can hear me! I obviously have something set wrong.
Did you add your hotspot to the D74 "Repeater List", with fairly accurate position fix (and maybe enter that position into menu 401 (My Position1) for use when you don't have a GPS fix). Adding the hotspot to the repeater list, and using either a GPS fix or "My Position1" will allow using the Down-arrow (hold) until the repeater select screen comes up, select "Nearest Repeaters", and the hotspot should be the first entry to show up for selection.
You /must/ have the hotspot entry defined with /either/ plus or minus shift, with an offset of 0.0.

I would then recommend you attempt a reflector connection first. Hold Up-arrow to get the "Destination Select" screen, select Reflector, select "Link Reflector". Enter the reflector name (try one that is known to be fairly busy). PTT to send the link command through the hotspot. Then repeat the "destination select" but this time select "Use Reflector".

The radio must be in "DR" mode, not "DV" mode (DV mode doesn't send the routing information).

https://www.pistar.uk/d-star_regcheck.php does show you registered (confusingly, using multiple repeaters)
The TGIF spot works with DMR and an anytone radio.
Completely different protocols

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber