D*STAR RF not detected, but DMR works

Help with D-Star related issues
LB8EI

D*STAR RF not detected, but DMR works

Post by LB8EI »

I need help chasing a bug here.....
I have two pi-star systems up and running connected to both dmr and D*star. But there is a problem with one of them... it does not receive Dstar traffic from RF but does receive DMR.

First I have a Dual Hat HS set up in duplex that works perfectly. I have set it up on dmrid-01 and dstar module B and I can make calls in both dmr and Dstar no problems. But, the second system, my simplex mmdvm modem connected through an Icom id-880 as a repeater I can't get DSTAR rf radio to be detected. The modem is configured with dmrid 02 and dstar module Z.
The hotspot where everything is Hunky Dory and both Dstar and DMR is working perfectly.
The hotspot where everything is Hunky Dory and both Dstar and DMR is working perfectly.
20211111_142802.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 1625 times

I can link to reflectors all fine manually in pi-star on the repeater and the hotspot. And traffic transmits through the repeater just fine when linked. I can hear everything dstar transmitted from the repeater perfectly in my car, But when transmitting dstar from my car, the repeater simply cannot hear it, nothing in the logs, nothing in the admin window - nothing. DMR however works perfectly and I can use DMR from my car and talking through the simplex router from miles around.
The mmdvm modem that will not listen to Dstar but hears DMR just fine, the one I call the Repeater.
The mmdvm modem that will not listen to Dstar but hears DMR just fine, the one I call the Repeater.
20211111_142813.jpg (30.57 KiB) Viewed 1625 times

The radio is set up fine in the car. It receives transmissions from the repeater just fine. And as long as I am within 50m of the yard, I can even connect to the hotspot, link, unlnk, call cq and everything through the hotspot. But the repeater refuses to hear my dstar transmission.
Icom id-880 the radio connected to mmdvm repeater board that transmits and receives from the air.
Icom id-880 the radio connected to mmdvm repeater board that transmits and receives from the air.
20211111_142822.jpg (24.06 KiB) Viewed 1625 times

I reflashed the modem, without it seeming to make any difference. I have adjusted the signal strengths, without any results. I have gone through my settings again and again and can find no fault. The Tx signal on the repeater is inverted to make it work. (on the hotspot it is not).

Any suggestions as to what I can do to troubleshoot this?
LB8EI

Re: D*STAR RF not detected, but DMR works

Post by LB8EI »

I have ordered another mmdw board with connectors to the two motorola radios I have on order.
This should be a bit more standard board, so hopefully it does work better.
But if there is any hints on how to see where things are stopping, that would be appreciated.
LB8EI

Re: D*STAR RF not detected, but DMR works

Post by LB8EI »

UPDATE:

I have now aquired a second MMDVM board. This time a VR2VYE & BI7JTA one, that is supposed to be a much better quality than the previous chinese STM32 knockoff. And things have changed.

Now, with the same radio, cable and Raspberry Pi DSTAR is working all the time with perfect audio quality. But now DMR has stopped making sense.

The MMDVM/pi-star is receiving DMR all right, and transmitting it. But my radios refuse to listen ..... I wonder what I am doing wrong now.