Dstarrepeater as a controller

Help with D-Star related issues
W8ZAC

Dstarrepeater as a controller

Post by W8ZAC » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Hello,
I am looking to setup a Dstar repeater using a couple Motorola radios I have lying around. One topic that came up with my local ham radio friends is the use of a controller. Am I correct to understand that the DStarRepeater mode on Pi-Star can do DTMF controlls, CW ID, and time announcements? Also were could I find out more information for setting up PI-Star as a repeater controller?

Or should I use a completely other controller?

M1DNS

Re: Dstarrepeater as a controller

Post by M1DNS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Pistar or rather ircddbgateway the software installed with pistar will give you all this functionality. Depending on the hardware you use (mmdvm radio board, gmsk modem, dutchstar card etc.) Will determine if you run with a mmdvm setup or a Dstarrepeater setup. It's ircddbgateway and it's suite of programs that give you the extras... DTMF control, announcements, linking etc.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.

w7efs

Re: Dstarrepeater as a controller

Post by w7efs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:09 pm

An important thing to remember with those Motorola radios is that they're rated for only 15-20% duty cycle. If one uses a higher powered transmit model then busy nets etc. where both sides are Tx'd will be almost 100% duty cycle, eventually burning out the finals ... I learned that the hard way with a 50W Radius m120 on IRLP, which is why we're amplifying a 4W Motorola signal to 45W now. Even so, a 50C thermostatically-controlled NO (normally open) switch and 12V fan can make the difference in transmitter longevity.