DPRS does not work

Help with D-Star related issues
W4AKB

DPRS does not work

Post by W4AKB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 pm

I-GATE did not do a signal of the GPS automatic transmission.
I worked before.
When I push PTT, it is done I-GATE.
Please help me.

W1TG

Re: DPRS does not work

Post by W1TG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:45 am

Hi W4AKB,

I noticed there aren't any responses to your question about DPRS not working. Without more specifics it's difficult to provide a resolution to the problem. But I'll share some common facts that you can check on your end.

Getting your position report on a map involves a few simple things...

Part 1 - Radio
A. Your radio needs to be configured to use the GPS function. GPS-A is the simplest way to send position reports in most radios. Whatever radio you're using needs to have the GPS function configured, activated, and locked on to the GPS Satellites. A "Best Practice" is to only send GPS data when you Push To Talk (PTT). Automatic beaconing can cause confusion leading others to think you want to join or start a QSO.

Part 2 - Pi-Star
B. Pi-Star needs to also be configured to use an "APRS Host". This is a single line in the "D-Star Configuration Section" of your "Configuration" page. Pi-Star creates a internet link to a live Tier 2 APRS Server to pass position packets. Check "APRS HOST" settings at: http://pi-star/admin/configure.php

Part 3 - APRS Info
C. There are over 80 different T2 APRS Hosts around the world. A really good "Best Practice" is to select one of the Automatically Rotating T2 APRS Hosts. The Rotating Host will always get you to a working Tier2 APRS Server and if that link fails for some reason it'll move onto another working server.

T2 APRS Host Servers that provide the Auto Rotate Function:
rotate.aprs2.net (World Wide T2-Rotate)
noam.aprs2.net (North America-T2 Rotate)
soam.aprs2.net (South America-T2 Rotate)
euro.aprs2.net (Europe-T2 Rotate)
aunz.aprs2.net (Australia/New Zeland-T2 Rotate)
asia.aprs2.net (Asia-T2 Rotate)

Use this as a guide to review your radio and Pi-Star settings. If you still have issues write back with details of your radio and Pi-Star settings to help troubleshoot the problem.

Tom - W1TG

W1TG

Post by W1TG » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi Adrian,

APRS passcode isn't necessary with Pi-Star ver 3.4.17 and prior.

Nice catch on the Beta Version 4...
Beta Version 4 Release Candidate 3 has a field "aprsPassword" in the ircDDBGateway file, but I can't remember if I put the entry in or it's generated automagically. I do remember reading some developer discussion somewhere about what would be appropriate for generating the password info. The current APRS best practice recommendations that I recall made the software author responsible for assisting users with getting their passcode.

For those who may be wondering what the password is for...it's necessary for the connection with the APRS T2 Server to pass APRS traffic. In all the current software versions it's generating the password for you behind the scenes. When your hotspot/repeater connects it's authenticating with the APRS T2 Server behind the scenes in order to pass position packets into the APRS network.

Tom - W1TG

W1TG

Post by W1TG » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Adrian,

Yes we all know you've been around for a long time and have helped many people. But not everyone else has your vast wealth of knowledge and do in fact need the history to understand what's going on. For most other mere mortals APRS is smoke and mirrors that automagically put position packets out on a map and in other peoples radios... We're just trying to help the original poster and other users who may not understand what it's all about and how it works.

Best!

Tom - W1TG