Icom 4100 - Access Point Mode

Help with D-Star related issues
VA7YD

Icom 4100 - Access Point Mode

Post by VA7YD »

Hi,
I am using pi star with my Icom 4100a on Terminal mode and seems to work very well. I was wondering, if anyone knows if I can use pi-star and the Icom 4100 in access point mode (ie. I have another ID 4100 in my vehicle that I would like to connect to the access point).

Thanks,
VA7YD
AK7AN

Re: Icom 4100 - Access Point Mode

Post by AK7AN »

Yes, if you are connected in Terminal mode, push the Menu and got to normal mode. Push the menu again and select Access Point mode. Now your 4100 will TX when there is activity thru Pi Star and when it Rx's it will send thru Pi-star.. This is exactly how I have mine setup and I can talk on my ID51A.
Hope this answers your question.
73 and Merry Christmas
Ed
AK7AN
VA7YD

Post by VA7YD »

Thank you very much. I will give it a try.
Todd
WX5OU

Post by WX5OU »

Been running Terminal mode on a Icom 4100 for a year now but for the last month sometimes it works and sometime it does not..

so sound on the radio and nor tx when I key up.. anyone else been having this issue or is it just me.. Im running 4.1.0 r7
VA7YD

Post by VA7YD »

Ok, I think I'm getting closer. When I go to terminal mode, and have it connected to a reflector, then go to the DV gateway, go to normal mode, and then go to DV gateway and select access point mode, the raspberry pi connection seems to drop out (nothing is heard, even though there is an active chat going on). When I switch back to terminal mode, I don't seem to be connected, and have to reconnect to the reflector.
Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Todd
VA7YD
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

Have you tried changing from terminal mode to access point before you link to a reflector or a least when there is no activity on the reflector? I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running Pi-star. My cable form the Pi to the 4100 is Icom cable. I have not experienced the issues that you have. Wished I coould be of more help.
Ed
AK7AN
VA7YD

Post by VA7YD »

Thanks, I will give it a try. Any help is worthwhile to try :)
Todd
VA7YD

Post by VA7YD »

Hi, I still seem to be having the same problems with access point mode. Everything with pi star and the ID4100 works great with terminal mode...no problems at all. When I try to go to access point mode, or even when I put the ID4100 into DV mode, the ID4100 begins to transmit continuously or almost continuously in DSTAR and it locks up. I have to turn off the radio to stop it. This does not occur if the radio is in FM mode or in terminal mode. Only seems to happen in DV mode or access point mode.

I think I have traced the problem to something pi star is doing. When I unplug pi star and put the ID4100 in DV mode, the continuous tranmitting does not occur.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone have an idea what might be happening? I am using a raspberry pi with ICOM cables to the radio and the raspberry pi is connected to the internet via LAN through a router.

Thanks,
Todd VA7YD