is there such thing as dstar2dmr and/or dstar2ysf?

Help with D-Star related issues
KB1BDM

is there such thing as dstar2dmr and/or dstar2ysf?

Post by KB1BDM »

Hi, can a dstar radio be used to access DMR talkgroups and/or YSF networks the same way a DMR radio can be used to talk on YSF/FCS rooms etc? I have the latest pistar version running a mmdvdm STM32 modem board. Thanks

- KB1BDM
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: is there such thing as dstar2dmr and/or dstar2ysf?

Post by M1DNS »

No, differing codecs between dstar and anything else.
YSF, DMR, nxdn follow a very similar codec making it possible.

There are certain TG's / groups / reflectors that can handle Dstar2
other modes, but that's where other hardware / software runs on
those particular assetts to make it work that way.

Have a look at XLX reflectors and DV switch.group.io
There's also a quadnet multi-flector as well, that you might
want to checkout. but agn these are only linked to specific TG's
and not a general Dstar2???

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KB1BDM

Post by KB1BDM »

Hey thanks for getting back to me. Ok, that makes sense. And on those reflectors that DO offer cross-platform functionality, im guessing the audio has to be decoded and then reencoded (compressed) into the other format resulting in some loss of quality?

- Todd (KB1BDM)
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

I link to the net run by the Colorado Digital Multiprotocol team (http://coloradodigital.net/) quite often. From what I understand, they use the AMBE Server made by Guus (DVMEGA). Usually sounds really good to me.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

XLX usually uses two ambe vocoder chips dstar is ingested passed to the 2nd encoder to come out as DMR. Although it's encoded /re_encoded the path stays 1s and 0s. Some of the other options use a DtoA and AtoD conversion using software encoders. Where the dstar get converted to analogue that analogue signal then gets converted back to digital.
If everything is configured correctly, many times you won't notice the difference between the two differing methods.
We ran a test echo link bridge on our local TG for a while and many users rarely noticed any audio differences.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VK2FMET

Post by VK2FMET »

sorry for the extra dumb question - to follow this topic - even though pi-star provides D-STAR can it be configured with my MMDVM and a DMR radio? Or am I limited to an e.g. ICOM D-STAR HT? or do I also need a different hat on my pi to work D-STAR?
Alan
Alan
VK1AO
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Crossover modes are between

YSF DMR NXDN
YSF vw to p25

There is no ability to swap between DSTAR and any other modes locally unless employing the addition of an AMBE vocoder to handle the transcoding and the appropriate software for it's use.

If you have a DSTAR radio your 'limited' to connections that accept a dstar protocol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VK2FMET

Post by VK2FMET »

ok so let's say I have both a D-Star radio and a DMR radio - can I configure my pi-star hotspot for both ? and run both simultaneously? I know it's simplex and talk one radio at a time but can the pi be standing configured for both at the same time?
Currently I have a config file for DMR and another for Brandmeister and I restore one and run it then restore another and run that. I can;t see how you'd run both of them at the same time since they need different master servers etc.
But is the pi-star able to have both D-Star and say DMR "on" at the same time?
Alan
Alan
VK1AO
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

You can configure for all 5 modes if you need, but only one mode will be active at any one time. You won't get simultaneous tx of more than one mode. The active mode holds until the traffic stops where it drops to idle. Whilst idle the first mode to hit the install either rf or inet will be the active mode.

Multi DMR connections will be handled by dmrgateway. Set dmrgateway as ur active server then setup which connections you want in the expert pages.

../admin/expert/edit_dmrgateway.php

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VK2FMET

Post by VK2FMET »

OK cool - thanks for that.
I suppose it makes things easier if I say call 4000 on BM to unlink before I work D-Star?
Alan
Alan
VK1AO