DExtra Hosts file change

Help with D-Star related issues
AK7AN

DExtra Hosts file change

Post by AK7AN »

I was wondering if the DExtra Host file for pi star could be updated to reflect the correct IP for XLX277? My public static IP is 63.78.117.77. I did not have the Static IP when I first set it up and I went live to early so this is my fault.
Thanks as always
Ed
AK7AN
w7efs

Re: DExtra Hosts file change

Post by w7efs »

Looks like it's in DCS_Hosts.txt:

$ grep -i XLX277 /usr/local/etc/*t
/usr/local/etc/DCS_Hosts.txt:XLX277 63.78.117.77
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

Yes, it is correct in DCS.. Still doesn't work in DExtra, I have to edit my Host file on my Pi's to make it work. Who can i contact to make this correction?
Happy New Year
Ed
AK7AN
kc7ngc

Post by kc7ngc »

AK7AN wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:51 am I was wondering if the DExtra Host file for pi star could be updated to reflect the correct IP for XLX277? My public static IP is 63.78.117.77. I did not have the Static IP when I first set it up and I went live to early so this is my fault.
Was confused at your question as I have a feeling you might be asking the wrong question? Which might be why w7efs might not have fully understand you question either.

First some needed background: (hope I don't screw this up)
XLX reflectors are software that can talk DCS, Dextra, and Dplus. There is very much a debate about which mode you should use by default when connecting to an XLX reflector but usually that is DCS which is why its in the DCS file. Traditionally there have been XRF,REF and DCS mappings in DExtra_hosts.txt, Dplus_hosts.txt and DCS_Hosts.txt files to allow people to connect to the XLX reflector on the different protocols.

So right now if you select XLX277 it by defaults tries to connect with DCS protocol as that is default behavior. Could also specify DCS277 and would get same link up. For Dplus linking to XLX277 would use REF277.

Normally to link to something like XLX277 with the Dextra protocol you would try to link to XRF277. For that to work would have to make sure the "DPlus for XRF" option in Dstar config for pistar is disabled. Because when enabled that it would force XRF connections to use DPlus instead of Dextra. If you change this setting remember you have to do a full shutdown and reboot of the pi-star.

Root of issue(what you are asking?):
So knowing above and to link via Dextra to XLX277 using pi-star there must be a XRF277 entry that points to 63.78.117.77 as need to use XRF277 to link with Dextra protocol to XLX277. Currently the entry for XRF277 points to 64.137.185.24 which I assume is the incorrect ip? Which is the ip you had before things were static?

So what you are really asking is that someone update the XRF277 entries to point to 63.78.117.77?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

In pistar there are 3 separate DSTAR host files.
Dplus, Dextra and XLX.

If the xlx is hosting all three protocols there'll be the same ip entry across all three host files. If they're running an original Dextra the Dextra host file will have a separate (differing ip) to that of the other hosts.

We know what's being asked for now, and when time allows the Dextra ip will be corrected. Given the original request asked for ips to be updated for XLX.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
K2IE

Post by K2IE »

Also worth a mention...if the reflector is really an XLX reflector, it auto registers with a server. Pi-Star pulls a copy of the list from the registration server so XLX reflectors don't require any kind of manual list update.

73 de K2IE
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

k2dls wrote:Also worth a mention...if the reflector is really an XLX reflector, it auto registers with a server. Pi-Star pulls a copy of the list from the registration server so XLX reflectors don't require any kind of manual list update.

73 de K2IE
Kinda. The XLX host file will populate as will the DCS file.
But the Dextra hosts often require us to oversee adjustments so the routines of the overnight updates can furnish you all with any changes made
If reflector owners moved away from the original Dextra xrfd reflector code and embraced XLX the updates would all be automagically updated. So what you say above is correct, when the reflector is solely XLX.
But,
Because we have old school Dextra reflectors running xrfd which doesn't have a central reporting and /or 'mixed' reflectors where the owner is running XLX for DCS, and keeping the original xrfd running for Dextra, choosing to link the two externally and hence two differing addresses need tracking. the whole keeping track of hosts is a bit of a nightmare with regard to Dextra. we've got this mis-mash of XLX, which do report and xrfd that dont and XLX/DCS addresses differing from that of their equivalent Dextra address.

If ur connecting with a genuine XLX it's highly recommended you'll want to be using the DCS protocol over Dextra. XLX was written based on DCS from it's starting point. It's just a bonus that Dplus and Dextra connections can be catered to also. Along with it's other advantages of course.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

How long does this take? I just checked the Dextra host files and it still reflects the wrong IP for my reflector.
Thanks
Ed
AK7AN
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

M1DNS wrote:So for total clarity, and making this a simple action to address.

what entry do you want changed and what address should it return?

There's no need to recap on what ur running or why etc. etc.

Simply state, which protocol and what address it should return

Ok so jumping the gun on ur reply the Dextra host now shows your reflector entry at 63.78.117.77

If it's any different go ahead and reply below. Else it's done, but will take a while for the overnight maintenance service to update other users host files with the changes. Unless they action a manual update.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.