D-Star fully working?

Help with D-Star related issues
AC1DP

D-Star fully working?

Post by AC1DP »

Hi,

New Jumbospot owner and new D-Star user really just getting started so consider the source... Got the hotspot up and running quickly with pi-star. Can link to repeaters and reflectors no problem, transmitting and receiving is working fine. Can do gateway routing without any issue. But a few other things are not working and I'm honestly not sure whether they should work or not. I've watched the videos and read quite a few posts. Tried port forwarding the appropriate ports and putting the hotspot in the DMZ. Confirmed port forwarding and DMZ were working. My activity is showing up on openquad. Anyway, here's a list of things that I haven't been able to get working:

1. Call sign routing from the hotspot to the outside world - granted, I have limited test capabilities here but I can make it work to a buddy of mine when using a local repeater and not from the hotspot.

2. Others cannot link to my hotspot. Again, not sure if this should work but it does not.

3. Others cannot use gateway routing targeting my hotspot.

4. Others cannot use call sign routing targeting me when my last use was on the hotspot.

I was going to assume these just don't work with a hotspot but I saw some posts talking about 2 hotspot users talking directly with each other. So, that got me thinking I'm missing something. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: D-Star fully working?

Post by M1DNS »

If you need in bound routing you'll have to create port rules in ur router.

You'll need to open ports for the protocols ur using and forward them to the pi-star internal IP address.

Those that want to link to you inbound will need ur external IP address or DNS address added into their copy of the host files resident in the /root folder agn entered into the appropriate host file for the protocol used, and any of them you want to link will need their IP/DNS add. added into ur host files.

You might also want to visit the expert pages and check you have a usable no of inbound connections set for the no you require.
../admin/expert/edit_ircddbgateway.php
Dextra dongle and Dplus dongle fields.
Im thinking the default is 5 on both so should do you for initial testing.

I haven't kept up with the newer releases of ircddbgateway, but afaia it doesn't use the older g2 type routing ie /AC1DP if ur attempts at linking that way are with relation to true icom hardware (but I'm not 100% and would happily stand aside if that isn't correct) it might also be an idea to post in the ircddbgateway group or the official MMDVM group, of maybe ask it of the quadnet group, as I remember a distant conversation where they have a linking technique also.

Andrew M1DNS, (Mod)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AC1DP

Post by AC1DP »

Andrew,

This helps. I did the port forwarding but not the steps around the IP/DNS in the host files. That makes sense (now). When my buddy's available, I'll give it another try.

Thanks,
Dave AC1DP
VE6DV

Post by VE6DV »

To do call sign routing with your hotspot you will want to make sure you forward UDP port 40000 from your router to your hotspot. Next, make sure your are both using rr.openquad.net as your ircddb server. You then should be good to go.
73 - Jeff VE6DV