Noob Problems. Please school me

Help with D-Star related issues
KI5GNY

Noob Problems. Please school me

Post by KI5GNY »

Hey guys- I have an Icom ID-51A Plus, and a DVMEGA UHF hotspot running PiStar. Nomatter what I do or try, I can't get it to link to any reflectors at all. I registered my callsign with dstar too (KI5GNY). I can hear the PiStar saying "linking to REF001" for example, but it never links. Screenshots are below for some of you smarter folks to point to what i'm doing tragically wrong. Thanks in advance for any help!
pistar1.jpg
pistar1.jpg (103.67 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
pistar2.jpg
pistar2.jpg (176.52 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
id51_1.jpg
id51_1.jpg (93.81 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
KI5GNY

Re: Noob Problems. Please school me

Post by KI5GNY »

id51_2.jpg
id51_2.jpg (99.63 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
id51_3.jpg
id51_3.jpg (97.03 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
VK3HAW

Post by VK3HAW »

Hi,

in pistar2.jpg " "Modes Enabled" "D-Star" is red. Indicates DV-Mega is not working with the Pi Zero.

I am not an expert, others may be able to offer more help. You could download and check the log in Admin, Live Logs page.

Hope this is some help.
DJ5UW

Post by DJ5UW »

Hi,
I would recommend using the latest Pistar Software, the one you use, 3.4.17 is very old.
Download 4.1.0 RC7 and reflash the SD-card.
bootup,log into pistar dashboard and check if the field D-Star under "Modes enabled" is green. If not, there is a communication problem between the DVMEGA and the pistar (should generate log error entries)
All other settings look good, except I would use 435.000 as the frequency and also disable Time Announcement

Also check if the DVMEGA Board sits correctly on top of the pistar and has good contact to it.
Posting the error log here may also be helpful: Click Live logs and copy the log entries.

regards

Uli
KD8DVR

Post by KD8DVR »

Enable the "use dmrplus for xref"

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
kc7ngc

Post by kc7ngc »

VK3HAW wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:26 am in pistar2.jpg " "Modes Enabled" "D-Star" is red. Indicates DV-Mega is not working with the Pi Zero.
I agree that is problem number 1. The big red flag. Double check that you have the DV-Mega had sitting on the correct pins and is fully seated on the pi zero.

The PI doesn't appear to be talking to the DV-Mega because the D-Star is red and also you should see a line under Radio info. Right under RX should be a line that says FW (for firmware) and it should say DV_MEGA when its successfully talking to the dv_mega board.

The missing FW entry and the red D-Star would seem to indicate board isn't installed on the PI-Zero correctly. If you think it's installed correctly but still not working can you post a picture of the DV_Mega installed on the PI zero, where we can see the pins and connector.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

What firmware is resident on the dvmega. If it's one of the earlier ones it won't run under a MMDVMhost setup. Instead you'll need to run using a dstarrepeater setup. Or update the firmware to something more utd.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

KI5GNY is currently linked to REF001 C, so it appears the problem is solved? The symptoms you described appear to be the DVMega firmware viewtopic.php?f=31&t=243 if the GPIO pins were seated correctly.