Do not see Mode or direction displayed in Admin Display

Help with D-Star related issues
G8SEZ

Re: Do not see Mode or direction displayed in Admin Display

Post by G8SEZ »

You need to flash a new SD card image to move to PiStar 4.x, the differences are too great for a pistar-upgrade to be feasible.

You can easily set up a new version with WiFi by putting a wpa_supplicant.conf file in the root directory of the SD card, you can also do the same with a backup .zip file but be careful as this is less certain to get everything updated correctly. If you choose to do this be very careful to check the settings that result in the expert menus.

Use the latest image file from the PiStar site:

https://www.pistar.uk/downloads/Pi-Star ... y-2020.zip

is a good bet on a standard RPi, but just check that to make sure.
--

Brian G8SEZ
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

W7JRG wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:00 am I added ports 80 and 8088 as in your table above and no change. Everything appears normal I get a green RX after transmitting in the radio info TRX section and it turns red and replies connecting to whatever Reflector I have selected, but never links so I don't hear anything. I have used the application successfully for a long time, I don't know what happened to cause my problem. The people who wrote the programming software logged on remotely and checked the configuration of my radio, and it is correct. This application has always been simple to install, could it be I need to upgrade? I am at version 3.4.17 and when I try to upgrade it responds with, I am at the latest version. I thought there was a version 4 available, is that correct? I also bought a new Zumspot thinking my old hot spot went bad apparently it did not, I'm stumped on this one. Thanks!

Those ports on my system are NOT for my Pi-Star system... I have a second R-Pi running a web server http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/ (I used to have static pages served via Earthlink -- the Earthlink DSL service provides up to 8 real email addresses, each with a small static web space. When I moved from Grand Rapids, old DSL was no longer available and since I had to get AT&T in for phone service I didn't feel like then having Earthlink resell AT&T U-verse... So, I now pay $8/month to keep the four email addresses I'd been using, but lost the web space)

As stated, my Pi-Star configuration just works... uPnP negotiated any needed ports with my router, and my router does not have a status page showing the open ports. I had to open port 80 in order to have /inbound/ web server requests work (and, as mentioned, I might have the DDNS provider rerouting port 80 requests to port 8088).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
W7JRG

Post by W7JRG »

Thanks Brian G8SEZ; I'll upgrade my pi-star to version 4 and see how that works.
W7JRG

Re: Do not see Mode or direction displayed in Admin Display - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Post by W7JRG »

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU BRIAN - 6 Month Problem Solved!!
Upgrading to version 4.1.2 did the trick, I am now able to connect to reflectors as in the past.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my issue, you all provided solutions to try an resolve my issue.

Much Appreciated;
W7JRG - Jim
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

It's weird but I always take it for granted that a user posting here is using the latest release. Unless they state they're not.

To which I'll always recommend they update as not only are there new features added with each update, but known bug fixes are employed along the way.

Unless your a remote repeater in a ridiculously hardent place where access prevents regular visits you all really should be running the most recent releases.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
W7JRG

Post by W7JRG »

While I agree that you should always use the latest version, I can't understand how my radio stopped linking to reflectors after working for 6 years without a problem. I re-installed the software with the version that had been working, thinking it may have become corrupt but that was not the case. If you review this support thread, I asked the forum if version 4 would fix my problem, you can see for yourself the replies I received. It was Brian who said yes, I do need to upgrade and gave me the link to download it and I appreciate his support.

I have been in computer hardware and software since 1980 and the first thing I learned about support is not to assume anything for an end-user.

Thanks!