mmdvm-calibration D-Star

Help with D-Star related issues
ct1fhw

mmdvm-calibration D-Star

Post by ct1fhw »

Hello all,

I need some help with mmdvm-cal to fine tune an Pi-star D-Star repeater. I have searched, but in 99% of the cases the documentation is oriented to the DMR system. Can anyone point me the way to fine tune pi-star D-Star repeater with mmdvm-cal tool?

Best regards,

Jose Alves
CT1FHW
AF6VN

Re: mmdvm-calibration D-Star

Post by AF6VN »

I don't recall every reading anything about D-STAR needing calibration... And I've not bothered to look as my hotspot seems to be dead-on for D-STAR, and the DMR BER is low enough (usually <1%) not to bother fiddling with.

Most I've found in a search is at the bottom of http://utahvhfs.org/dstar_testing.html -- which basically just states that D-STAR doesn't really have BER testing features, most radios suppress it...

And https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star-n ... #tuningber which is just the old trial&error method -- tweak the offset, do an echo test, see which way the BER moved...

{Addendum: based on the link to the calibration procedure, mmdvm-cal is actually generating data in a DMR frame. Since DMR uses a different AMBE CODEC from D-STAR, mmdvm-cal may not be able to produce D-STAR frames}

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
ct1fhw

Post by ct1fhw »

Hello all,

I didn't teste the D-star calibration, because I don't know what to expect. Should I use the DMR calibration values and apply them to the D-star?
I have noticed another issue, and I don't know if is relatar with a bad aligment. When I use the Pistar on mmdvm mode on D-star, my ic92 and 2820, can't decode the caller callsign, ONLY the mensagem, but the id5100 and 31are ok. When I switch to the D-star dedicated mode all work well.
ct1fhw

Post by ct1fhw »

Hello again,

In this setup, there are no tx or rx offset. I use 2 analog radios connected to an mmdvm repeater board.
That's why I want to know the best way to fine tune the audio levels for the mmdvm board / pistar.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

ct1fhw wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:45 am Hello again,

In this setup, there are no tx or rx offset. I use 2 analog radios connected to an mmdvm repeater board.
That's why I want to know the best way to fine tune the audio levels for the mmdvm board / pistar.
The calibration procedure, as I understand, is used to adjust for frequency misalignments; I didn't think it did audio levels... {mmdvmcal is not usable with my dvmega board}

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
ct1fhw

Post by ct1fhw »

Thanks to all!!