Uanble to perform callsign routing?

Help with D-Star related issues
W9fyi

Uanble to perform callsign routing?

Post by W9fyi »

Folks,

Iv'e got a Kenwood Thd-74 radio, and a Zumspot running the latest version of Pi-star. I'm noticing that I can link to reflectors just fine, but when I attempt to perform a zone call, routing to a specific repeater, or route to an individual's callsign that does not work. The steps that i perform are as follows:
1. Select the repeater that I'm routing from: AI5OS--b, whre b is in the 8th position, RPT2 is AI5OS--g, with g in the 8th position.
2. Navigate to the repeater that I'm calling to on the Kenwood and use the Direct entry field, and enter the callsign in upercase, and/or the repeater module in the 8th position.
3. Try pressing the transmit. button to make a call
Expected: The callsign would route through to the other repeater module, or to the individual in question
Actual: I hear a strange beep, and see on the screen what has been described, as a building with a cros, and an "x" with a red exclamation. I'm totally blind, soI can't give total visual details apologies. Any help you can give I'd appreciate
Justin-w9fyi/AI5OS
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Uanble to perform callsign routing?

Post by M1DNS »

Rpt1 and rpt2 need to stay the same as ur install. Don't change them. Instead change the UR command field.

Not sure with the Kenwood, but in the icom radios...

AI5OS AL where it's the repeater call, the module then L (in the 8th position) which is the link command.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
AF6VN

Re: Uanble to perform callsign routing?

Post by AF6VN »

Per the N6FN "Nifty" manual for the D74... (I've only made use of reflectors, and have not actually tried any of this)
W9fyi wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:48 pm 1. Select the repeater that I'm routing from: AI5OS--b, whre b is in the 8th position, RPT2 is AI5OS--g, with g in the 8th position.
First make sure the radio is in DR mode, and not DV mode.
Select the FROM repeater (hotspot) using DownArrow button to access the repeater list (if using a hotspot, it needs to be programmed into the repeater list -- if GPS has a lock, the "Nearby Repeaters" should be usable, and should show the programmed hotspot entry).
Select the LOCAL repeater (hotspot).
2. Navigate to the repeater that I'm calling to on the Kenwood and use the Direct entry field, and enter the callsign in upercase, and/or the repeater module in the 8th position.
Select the remote repeater (for repeater gateway) using UpArrow, "Gateway CQ", select remote from repeater list. This sets the TO destination for the remote.
IF attempting to reach an individual call, use UpArrow, "Individual", select target call sign from list (you may need to program some call signs using menu 220, if the list hasn't been populated by having heard that call before). This sets the TO destination to the call sign.
3. Try pressing the transmit. button to make a call
Expected: The callsign would route through to the other repeater module, or to the individual in question
Actual: I hear a strange beep, and see on the screen what has been described, as a building with a cros, and an "x" with a red exclamation. I'm totally blind, soI can't give total visual details apologies. Any help you can give I'd appreciate
Justin-w9fyi/AI5OS
Don't know if the above procedure is usable by you if you can't see the navigation screens. (Nor if any of the available documents are useful)
Kenwood has a PDF with operating tips that cover stuff the regular manual is rather skimpy on... https://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info ... AE_IDM.pdf

The Kenwood manual doesn't show "a building with a cros, and an "x" with a red exclamation" in the list of indicators. There is a red X with a torn sheet of paper to indicate packet loss.

The status icons are: A single building with an antenna (overlapping V and T) (with > < radio waves) on the roof is local repeater; two buildings with antennas (and < radio waves between them) is zone repeater, two buildings with antennas, and _||_ connecting the buildings and a cloud above it is a repeater for gateway.

I do show building with antenna in front of selected local repeater (hotspot). Possibly your X! is an icon for that signalling some error in the command sent to it (I presume you got a green screen response to the PTT attempt)

Addendum: Step 1 is the same for all operations; step 2 is where differences appear.
If using reflectors, step 2 is UpArrow, "Reflector", "Link Reflector", select reflector (either from recently used list, or selecting type, number, module); this sets the Linking command. PTT to link.
Then UpArrow, "Reflector", "Use Reflector"; this sets reflector mode CQCQCQ

For LINKING to remote repeaters, you are recommended to enter the linking command(s) [<call> <module>"L"] into the call sign list, where they then become available in the "Individual" call list; you can use the Unlink, Info, and Echo commands from the "Reflector" menu [I presume after linking, one has to reset for CQCQCQ

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber