Where is the echo test recorded?

Help with D-Star related issues
G4AON

Where is the echo test recorded?

Post by G4AON »

When I’ve had reports of poor/broken signals from my own transmission on a reflector, an echo test works OK.

Is the echo test recorded in Pi-Star, or does it test further back in the system?

Thanks

Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
Chinese MMDVM with OLED on a Pi 3B
DVAP on a Pi 3B
G4AON

Re: Where is the echo test recorded?

Post by G4AON »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:00 pm You are trying to compare apples to oranges. The entire pathway from your hotspot to a reflector might be completely different than the pathway from your hotspot to the echo test.
<SNIP>
No, it is not recorded on the hotspot. It comes directly from a server. It just replays whatever it received.
Thanks for the info. My concern is my internet and WiFi connection. I can chat for ages on Skype, including video, yet a humble D-Star QSO then receives reports of broken signals and garbled audio. Yet an echo test works OK.

73 Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
DVAP on a Pi 3B
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Depends on the mode used. As above Mostly server, except Dstar. if you use the -------E (seven spaces and an E it records locally using ircddbgateway. If you connect to echo reflectors like the Z module of an XLX reflector it gets recorded via the reflector.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G4AON

Post by G4AON »

M1DNS wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:38 pm Depends on the mode used. As above Mostly server, except Dstar. if you use the -------E (seven spaces and an E it records locally using ircddbgateway. If you connect to echo reflectors like the Z module of an XLX reflector it gets recorded via the reflector.
That’s useful to know Andrew. Have you any recommendations as to which XLX one would serve as a useful “server to me” test? And do I just use “Use Reflector” in the “To” field of my radio (as opposed to an Echo Test)?

Thanks
Dave
ID51E plus 2
ID5100E
IC9700
AnyTone AT-D878UV
DVAP on a Pi 3B
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Generally all the XLX z modules run echo, not all but mostly. If you look at the link you might find one dedicated to your country / part of the Image or just listed for ur general interest.

http://coloradodigital.duckdns.org/inde ... reflectors

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.