Default reflector as "manual"

Help with D-Star related issues
SM5GXQ

Default reflector as "manual"

Post by SM5GXQ »

Hi,

We are running an MMDVM repeater SK7RFL (https://www.sk7rfl.se/446733458) with Pi-star. The primary purpose of the repeater is DMR, so we don't want to have D-star or YSF starting up the repeater from the network. Only manual activation from a radio user is intended.

So I set a startup reflector DCS010B but to the right I select "manual".

So now, if a user transmits on the frequency - then the default reflector is not activated. Perhaps this is the intended outcome :-).

So now the user tries to activate it, using star-star (**) or by setting URCALL to DCS010BL. But it doesn't work. I have no D-star radio myself, but the guy who helps me with that seems to know what he's doing.

But from the admin dashboard I can choose "LInk", and then it's connected - and everything works. But now I'm also getting incoming traffic on D-star, which was not intended in the first place.

Am I missing something? What would be the correct way for a user to activate the default reflector (or any other reflector)?

rgds
Peter
AF6VN

Re: Default reflector as "manual"

Post by AF6VN »

So far as I can tell, that radio button selection between "startup" and "manual" ONLY controls if the link is established when the Pi-Star unit is automatically rebooted (or, at best, when the MMDVM software is restarted, which happens when software updates are performed or other configuration changes are applied).

Until the MMDVM/Pi-Star software is commanded to activate the link, it will remain unlinked. Note: I can't explain why the aaa999mL was not accepted to activate the link -- unless your assistant had failed to configure the radio for hotspot/repeater usage and was in simplex mode. I have no idea what ** is supposed to do -- this is the first mention of it I've seen.

Once linked, it will remain linked until either the dashboard UNLINK is used, or some user transmits "_______U" (_ is blank).

There is no option for "link to selected only when hotspot receives D-STAR RF", and furthermore, there is no timeout to trigger an unlink (maybe in the expert menu).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber