Icom Access Point question

Help with D-Star related issues
W6CJ

Icom Access Point question

Post by W6CJ »

Newbie Question:

I wanted to extend my hotspot portable coverage, and wondered if Icom's Access Point is a good way to do this?

I'd heard that AP was limited; not as good as a pi- or other hotspot.

My other option to extend my hotspot coverage would be cross-band repeating between my 70cm hotspot and the 2m band.

Thanks & 73
W6CJ
lastradioman(AT)gmail(DOT)com
AF6VN

Re: Icom Access Point question

Post by AF6VN »

Based upon https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... yqZ4y4utMe

... this mode ties up a (Windows) laptop/computer or (Android) phone/tablet and with the use of the ID-4100 turns the pair into a D-Star only hotspot supporting GATEWAY connections to other repeaters. You need a separate callsign for the access point, which may need to be obtained from repeater gateway admins (it may just be the normal call+mode-suffix registered/added to registration for the new device node).

Don't know if you can access reflectors through it -- maybe you have to gateway to a repeater and then set that repeater for a reflector.

There was also something about on one local radio/user -- so may not support "public" mode.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
AK7AN

Post by AK7AN »

With a Raspberry Pi running PiStar, your data cable for your 4100, it makes an excellent extended range gateway for Dstar. I used my 4100 just that way for over a year.
Take care
Ed
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

W6CJ wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:58 pm My other option to extend my hotspot coverage would be cross-band repeating between my 70cm hotspot and the 2m band.
I have done this with my ID-5100, it works very well on D-Star mode and gives me an easy 50w + large vertial antenna range boost...
The only thing I would counter, is that you need to be mindful of what is around you, dont accidentally use the same frequency of any repeater near by for example. If you only want a small range boost, better antenna on the Pi is a great place to start etc...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk