Changing reflectors from RF

Help with D-Star related issues
VE6CPU

Changing reflectors from RF

Post by VE6CPU »

Hello. I thought I had things working but not the way I thought. I've got Pi-Star 4.1.4 running with a DVMega Pi-Hat Dual band. I've got Controller Software set to DStarRepeater in simplex mode. I've only got D-Star set as on (no DMR or other modes). I have one of my call signs as the node callsign. Freq set to 438.800, lat/long, town, country, url all set. Radio/Modem type is DV-Mega dual band. It's set to public and APRS Host is disabled (for now). D-Star config shows RPT1 = VE6CIC B and RPT2 = VE6CIC G. Default reflector is XRF302 D. Time, Call sign routing and Use DPlus are all on.

It connects to the reflector after boot up (or restart of services). I'm having a couple of problems. First it seems like my voice is not being heard from my radio on the reflector. My radio is set to Your: CQCQCQ, RPT1: VE6CIC B RPT2: VE6CIC G and MY: VE6CPU. On the Admin page I sett other people's call signs but not mine (except for the initial tx of the connection to the reflector). There is nothing in the Local RF Activity.

I'm 99% sure it's just something not quite configured properly either on the pi-star or my radio. Does anyone have any ideas what I should check?

Second thing is, is it possible to unlink from a reflector and link to another from RF?

Thanks.
AF6VN

Re: Changing reflectors from RF

Post by AF6VN »

VE6CPU wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:39 pm I'm 99% sure it's just something not quite configured properly either on the pi-star or my radio. Does anyone have any ideas what I should check?
The most common misconfiguration is having the radio in SIMPLEX (DV) mode. The channel being used for the hotspot needs to be DUPLEX (DR) mode, with a 0.0MHz repeater SHIFT. Yes -- 0.0 shift so it transmits on the same frequency it is listening on, but you need the repeater mode so the proper packet headers are sent for routing through the hotspot.
Second thing is, is it possible to unlink from a reflector and link to another from RF?
How difficult this will be depends upon the radio being used. On a Kenwood D74 one holds the D-pad (Down, I believe, might be Up) for a few seconds to get the reflector menu. From that one picks the Link option, Specifies the reflector (most recent uses stay in the list, otherwise you have to select/edit the type, number, and node/letter). Back out from menu and the link command should be in the "CQCQCQ" location. PTT for a few seconds to link. Return to menu and select "Use Reflector" to put "CQCQCQ" into the field. There are also options for Unlink and Info.

On radios without such a menu, I believe the procedure is to save memory channels containing the link command for each desired reflector in what would be the CQCQCQ field. Note, you only need ONE UNLINK and INFO channel as they just contain " U" (or "I").

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
VE6CPU

Post by VE6CPU »

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Does the pi-star have to be in duplex mode with zero offset?

I should have mentioned the radio I was using. It's an IC-91AD (yes old school). I have a feeling that once I get the RF from above working then my memory settings (one to connect, one to drop and one with CQCQCQ) for each reflector I want to connect to, will just start working like I thought it should.
VE6CPU

Post by VE6CPU »

Putting in the offset of 0 Mhz on my handheld worked. I'm not txing in and it's showing up in the RF section and sending it through to the reflector.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

VE6CPU wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:37 pm Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Does the pi-star have to be in duplex mode with zero offset?
The DVMega is a dual BAND unit -- it will operate on either 2m or 70cm bands... But on the selected band, it is a simplex device. This is what mine shows (using * to indicate selected radio button)

Code: Select all

Control Software
Setting 	                                                    Value
Controller Software: 	      DStarRepeater         * MMDVMHost (DV-Mega Minimum Firmware 3.07 Required)
Controller Mode: 	    * Simplex Node            Duplex Repeater (or Half-Duplex on Hotspots)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber