DSTAR Repeater - Terminal Mode over TCP/IP-Bluetooth

Help with D-Star related issues
NI9K

DSTAR Repeater - Terminal Mode over TCP/IP-Bluetooth

Post by NI9K »

All,

I currently have my Pi-Star setup as a DSTAR Repeater and am using it connected via USB to my IC-705. This works quite well with the exception of a few bugs that could probably be tweaked with some additional modifications. While USB works fine I’m interested to know if anyone has been able to get this to work over Bluetooth or via the Internal WLAN. Utilizing Bluetooth could the IC-705 present as a Modem like it does via USB? Could an additional feature of PiStar be created to function in some capacity like the new G3 gateways or the XLX gateways where you could direct attach via the Internal Gateway of the IC-9700 or IC-705 and then use the normal DSTAR linking / unlinking of Gateways and Reflectors.
In its current setup using the Internal Gateway seems more cumbersome than it should be.

I’m relatively new to PiStar and Terminal mode so if there are others that understand more about this and could add some information I’d be glad for your feedback!

Thanks!
73 de NI9K
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: DSTAR Repeater - Terminal Mode over TCP/IP-Bluetooth

Post by KE7FNS »

NI9K wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:17 pm Utilizing Bluetooth could the IC-705 present as a Modem like it does via USB?
I'm not familiar with that radio, but when you connect it to something like a Windows machine with Bluetooth enabled does the device manager list a Bluetooth Serial Device? If it does then maybe it'd be possible but might require some special programming. If it doesn't then no. Its really up to the programming in the radio and whatever modules it enables over a Bluetooth connection.

Another problem is Bluetooth on the RPi is disabled in Pi-star because the serial port needed to use what the Bluetooth was using, so you'd have to add a USB bluetooth adapter.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
NI9K

Post by NI9K »

I wasn’t aware of it being disabled on the PiStar Image but I like your idea of a USB Bluetooth Adapter. As for how the radio presents itself when in Terminal Mode via Bluetooth I need to check later. I’ll provide an update then

Thanks for the info!

-Nick
NI9K

Post by NI9K »

From Icom.co.uk

What version of Bluetooth does the IC-705 use?

Version 4.2. (Details below)

• Transmission Output: Class 2
• Profile: HFP, HSP, SPP, GATT (Serial) over LE
• The maximum number of paired Bluetooth devices either headsets or data devices are a maximum 4 devices, and the combination is 5 devices in total.
• Device name: ICOM BT(IC-705) (default value).
• Passkey: 0000 (four zeros)

05/01/2021

Looking at this suggests that it present as a Serial Device.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

NI9K wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:45 pm From Icom.co.uk

What version of Bluetooth does the IC-705 use?

Version 4.2. (Details below)

• Transmission Output: Class 2
• Profile: HFP, HSP, SPP, GATT (Serial) over LE
• The maximum number of paired Bluetooth devices either headsets or data devices are a maximum 4 devices, and the combination is 5 devices in total.
• Device name: ICOM BT(IC-705) (default value).
• Passkey: 0000 (four zeros)

05/01/2021

Looking at this suggests that it present as a Serial Device.
Ok,

HFP is hands free profile
HSP is headset profile
SPP is serial port profile
GATT is generic attribute profile

So now the question is can whatever program pi-star uses be assigned to what I suspect will be something like /dev/rfcomm0. If so, then it should just work (once you figure out the pairing) because serial over bluetooth acts exactly like serial over wire from a communications point of view.

The hard part is going to be getting the device paired. You might need to install some more packages to the OS to allow you to accomplish that.

Sounds like it would be a fun project to tinker with.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

After a few seconds of googling:

Put the radio in its discoverable mode first.

Plug in your USB Bluetooth adapter into the RPi and then on the RPi:

Enter bluetoothctl to open Bluetooth control from the command line.

At the [bluetooth]# prompt enter the following commands:

Code: Select all

discoverable on
pairable on
agent on
default-agent
scan on
Wait for a message to appear showing the device has been found:

[NEW] Device 12:23:34:45:56:67 devicename
Type pair with the mac address of the device:

pair 12:23:34:45:56:67
Good luck.

NI9K

Post by NI9K »

Thanks for doing the digging!

I just ordered a Bluetooth 4.0 LE micro adapter!

My guess is that you can go into the Dstar Repeater Expert Config and manually specify the /dev/rfcomm or whatever it shows up as just like it currently used /dev/ACMX for the USB.

Thanks for the help I’ll let you know how it goes once I get the adapter.

-Nick
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

NI9K wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:33 pm I just ordered a Bluetooth 4.0 LE micro adapter!

My guess is that you can go into the Dstar Repeater Expert Config and manually specify the /dev/rfcomm or whatever it shows up as just like it currently used /dev/ACMX for the USB.
I've got a few of them laying around, I've used them for various things over the years.

One thing though make sure you don't enable auto binding. You want it to drop if the connection gets interrupted, having it reconnect will probably introduce some serious errors and cause all kinds of a mess.

Also I saw your other post on the udev rules and I wonder if that also will be needed, don't really know.

Like I said, sounds fun and good luck.

NI9K

Post by NI9K »

Regarding the UDEV rules, yes, I think there will need to be something in there for that but I’m not sure exactly what. We need to make sure that the icom_ta file/link gets created so that the option of selecting Icom Radio in Terminal Mode appears. I can of course fake it by leaving the USB cable plugged into the radio while adding the Bluetooth Device. I may even be able to just create the Symlink to the Bluetooth Device. The UDEV rules should be similar to the commands already listed in the other post but we’ll need to determine the VendorID and ProductID which will be unique to the Bluetooth Adapter you choose.
Im not very familiar with UDEV rules but will be doing some more research while I wait for the Bluetooth Adapter.

Thanks!

-NI9K
BH1EWI

Post by BH1EWI »

Terminal mode has two modes: internal gateway and external gateway. The internal gateway is connected via Wi-Fi and the external gateway is connected via USB. I did not find that it can be connected via Bluetooth. I wish you success and look forward to the good news.