Cant get confirmation of call access

Help with D-Star related issues
G8MMM

Cant get confirmation of call access

Post by G8MMM »

Hi

Very new to the hotspot arena but would appreciate a little help. Radio is a ICOM !C-E92D (2008 vintage)

Using a Jumbo board on a Raspberry Pi B+ and can get access to REF001C. I get a confirmation "bleep" from the rig on TX but any request to get confirmation of access gets zero response. Rig is set to VFO mode (Simplex)

To get started I am trying to access a reflector where there is lots of activity and I do hear stations using the reflector. I can see my call appearing on the "Gateway" page on Pi-Star.

I am obviously missing a setting or two but maybe I should be running from a memory with other settings such as RPT1 and RPT2?

Any help appreciated.

Gordon G8MMM
G8SEZ

Re: Cant get confirmation of call access

Post by G8SEZ »

Pretty sure that you need to use a mode where the radio thinks it is in repeater mode. Normal way of doing this is to set it to dup+ or dup- with a shift of zero.

Newer Icoms call this DR mode, I don't know if the 92D has a different name for it.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8MMM

Post by G8MMM »

Thanks Brian...much appreciated..

Have come across this "DR" mode mentioned before but cant see any button to do this function. From a video I have seen on this forum you have an entry which uses your own callsign for rpt1 and rpt2 which can access the hotspot with zero offset and then use DR to get to a list of links which make the connection. So it looks like a two part process. Will research more but thanks again.

Best 73 Gordon G8MMM
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G8MMM wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:44 am Have come across this "DR" mode mentioned before but cant see any button to do this function. From a video I have seen on this forum you have an entry which uses your own callsign for rpt1 and rpt2 which can access the hotspot with zero offset and then use DR to get to a list of links which make the connection. So it looks like a two part process. Will research more but thanks again.
The key is that the channel has to be configured as a REPEATER with a +/- 0.0 shift. This may require turning off the auto-repeater shift function in the US version! See page 31 and 32.

Based upon http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/ ... tions.aspx you'll have to be on the so-called "B band"... See page 42-43 in the manual (primitive -- storing repeater callsigns separately from the channel frequency). I believe you will need to enter

UR CQCQCQ
R1 <hotspot call with node in 8th position -- probably a B for 70cm>
R2 <hotspot call with gateway node in 8th position -- a G>
MY <your call with no node letter>

Linking to a reflector from the radio requires setting UR to the reflector ID with an L in the 8th position, doing PTT, then resetting UR to CQCQCQ, unlink is a U in 8th position. You'll likely want to store the Link command for the ones you are most interested in working -- you only need one Unlink (all blank except for U in position 8); linking to a new reflector normally unlinks the previous one. Then store RPT1 (your hotspot B call) and RPT2 (hotspot gateway G call), and of course, store the hotspot settings (freq/offset) into a memory channel.

Hmmm, page 71 implies the channel can be programmed with the RPT1/RPT2 pairs (probably set station call to CQCQCQ)

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G8MMM

Post by G8MMM »

Dennis

Many thanks for this info. It looks like I should be able to get my UK version sorted for the hotspot. Although its a 2008 rig it still performs well so your info should enable it to try this new way of working.

Best 73

Gordon G8MMM