Loss of DTMF Decoding PLUS loss of ability to edit ircddbgateway config file from Expert Menu

Help with D-Star related issues
VA3UV

Loss of DTMF Decoding PLUS loss of ability to edit ircddbgateway config file from Expert Menu

Post by VA3UV »

Hi Folks:

I seem to have lost the ability to link / unlink from reflectors via DTMF.

Perhaps somewhat related, I have also lost the ability to edit the ircddbgateway config file from the Expert Menu. I CAN manually edit the ircddbgateway config file using nano... it is there in /etc - and "dtmfEnabled=1"

ircddbgateway is running, I can connect to dplus / XLX reflectors by setting URCALL = <appropriate_reflector_module_L> etc... - I seem to have lost the ability to link / unlink via DTMF. I first noticed this problem yesterday, Sat June 5th.

Not sure if these two problems are related...

Thanks!

Ramesh, VA3UV, WA3UV, G4PNQ
g0lgj

Re: Loss of DTMF Decoding PLUS loss of ability to edit ircddbgateway config file from Expert Menu

Post by g0lgj »

Hi I have same issue, DTMF is enabled in /etc/ircdbbgateway. I can link setting radio with UR fields .

Tried various updates etc
Mark
VA3UV

Re: Loss of DTMF Decoding PLUS loss of ability to edit ircddbgateway config file from Expert Menu

Post by VA3UV »

g0lgj wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:56 pm Hi I have same issue, DTMF is enabled in /etc/ircdbbgateway. I can link setting radio with UR fields .

Tried various updates etc
Mark
Hi Mark, Glad that I am not alone then! - was this working for you previously and has just stopped (out of the blue?). This is happened on two of my repeaters now and I have not been able to solve it.

Cheers,

g0lgj

Post by g0lgj »

Hi Ramesh, yes was working, it is failing on my dual mode repeater Fusion / D-STAR which is STM-32 and RPI3 and was working fine.
My other repeater Icom stack this is still working ok on DMTF ?

I have a simplex hotspot running D-STAR and the DTMF is working on this ? all running Pi-Star:4.1.4 / Dashboard:20210611

I thought my Radio in car had stopped working but confirmed with another radio.
Tried manual update and changing a setting in config and saving, also reboot still same.
Mark
VA3UV

Post by VA3UV »

g0lgj wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:02 pm Hi Ramesh, yes was working, it is failing on my dual mode repeater Fusion / D-STAR which is STM-32 and RPI3 and was working fine.
My other repeater Icom stack this is still working ok on DMTF ?

I have a simplex hotspot running D-STAR and the DTMF is working on this ? all running Pi-Star:4.1.4 / Dashboard:20210611

I thought my Radio in car had stopped working but confirmed with another radio.
Tried manual update and changing a setting in config and saving, also reboot still same.
Mark
Hi Mark: Is this the Repeater Builder STM-32? (that's what I have on both of my repeaters... configured for DMR, YSF, P25, and D-STAR). I upgraded the STM-32 firmware on both repeaters... now before we jump to this (possibly) being an STM or f/w issue, DTMF *was* working fine after the f/w upgrade... it just stopped a few days after the f/w upgrade!

Cheers,

Ramesh.
g0lgj

Post by g0lgj »

Hi yes STM-32 from repeater builder I have not upgraded f/w since installed
from pi-star dashboard mmdvm :20190130
Mark
VA3UV

Post by VA3UV »

g0lgj wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:15 pm Hi yes STM-32 from repeater builder I have not upgraded f/w since installed
from pi-star dashboard mmdvm :20190130
Mark
OK, thanks, Mark. I think we can rule out a f/w issue, since I am using the newer RB build MMDVM: RB_STM32. As I mentioned previously, DTMF did work for about a week after the upgrade. Since you have the 'stock' f/w and now have the issue, the two common denominators are either the hardware or the Pi-Star s/w. The hardware hasn't changed....

Cheers,

Ramesh.
VA3UV

Post by VA3UV »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:51 am
VA3UV wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:49 pm As I mentioned previously, DTMF did work for about a week after the upgrade.
The question is which upgrade?

I don't really know what application is capturing the DTMF and allowing you to link or unlink, are you saying you setup a new command in pistar-remote?
I may be on to something.... I spun up a new hotspot last night and DTMF is working fine - one thing I noticed is that when you use the Pi-Star Admin Menu -> D-STAR Link Manager, it invokes remotecontrold (which I noticed on my functioning hotspot).

On one of my repeaters, I do not see the 'remotecontrold' daemon being called (and hence I am unable to link and unlink manually).

On my other repeater, remotecontrold is called and I am able to link and unlink manually.

Despite this variance, neither repeater responds to DTMF commands.

Wonder if remotecontrold is the hint here?

Cheers,

M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yep. dtmf linking ability is handled by ircddbgateway.

The last round of updates pushed a newer vers. of MMDVMhost and a newer ircddbgateway.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Andrew alerted me to this issue this morning;

Here are the current findings:
1. ircDDBGateway does process the DTMF to link to whatever you called via DTMF, however it will only do that if it receives the DTMF frames.
2. MMDVMHost has been patched in the past (end of Nov 2020), and that patch broke the DTMF frames somehow - this is being investigated.

So, just to re-cap, ircDDBGateway is not at fault, MMDVMHost has some minor problem with the handling of DTMF frames - we'll know more soon.
As soon as there is a fix, we will pull it in.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk