D-Star Terminal Mode startup

Help with D-Star related issues
KJ7WFB

D-Star Terminal Mode startup

Post by KJ7WFB »

I am using PiStar v4.1.5 in Icom Terminal Mode connected to an Icom ID-4100. The data cable is always plugged in. It works well once it is running, but getting it started from power-off normally fails at first. On rare occasions, it starts normally, but 90% of the time I get this: When I power up the radio and boot the pi-star, I sometimes hear a word or two from the reflector it is supposed to connect with on startup, but then the connection drops. The dashboard shows no outgoing connection and no entries in Gateway Activity. If I then key the radio to request a reflector link, the request is ignored. I have found that re-booting the pi-star often fixes this problem, and running an update always fixes the problem. When the system comes back up or when update restarts system services, things work fine.

It seems to make no difference whether one or the other of the devices is powered up first. Is there anything I can do to make it start more reliably? I am very happy with the way it works otherwise.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: D-Star Terminal Mode startup

Post by MW0MWZ »

The device order DOES matter - the radio will need to be on first, and setup in terminal mode before the Pi comes online - because that is how the USB connection will show the correct port on the Pi (and the dstarrepeater process will need that).

I'll setup one of mine to test this theory out this weekend....
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
KJ7WFB

Re: D-Star Terminal Mode startup

Post by KJ7WFB »

I'll be interested to see the result of your tests. I continue to see the behavior I described above. The radio is always on when Pi-Star boots, though I have tests it the other way. Even if I power them on at the same time, the radio comes up in about 2 seconds and the Pi takes a minute to boot.