DPRS data

Help with D-Star related issues
AE5PL

Re: DPRS data

Post by AE5PL »

You might help by giving me the callsign you are using for your repeater. There are multiple reasons why this might occur but I need to know what you are using. Also, be sure to turn off all other APRS generators in Pi-Star. The other APRS generators are trying to hijack DPRS designators even though they aren't DPRS (DPRS is D-STAR specific) and the instructions also state that ircddbgateway's APRS must be turned off so there is not connection competition. The default server callsign-SSID for ircddbgateway and DStarMonitor are the same callsign-GS yet only one is allowed worldwide (dupe checking in APRS-IS mandates unique logins). It sounds like you have the ircddbateway APRS turned off (DStarMonitor does check this and flag it in its error log if turned on) but we need to be sure the others are turned off too (DMR, Fusion, etc.).

Let me know what callsign we are looking for.

Pete AE5PL
AE5PL

Post by AE5PL »

ct1dvm wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:10 am I tried on several test systems here with same result. I think DSM doesnt parse the /etc/ircddbgateway lon / lat fields for the gateway and send those as an aprs postion report on startup etc. As the repeater location is static, I guess it doesnt matter if the report on aprs.fi is an old one for the gateway call.It would be nice if DSM did send the ircddbgateway config co-ordinates for the gateway on startup.
Yes, it does. That is why I am asking what the callsign is so I can look at raw packets for that callsign. The lat/lon DStarMonitor uses is the lat/lon at the top of the configuration file (Configuration, Expert, ircddbgateway) which is -decimal- degrees (N,E positive; S,W negative) (also same as lat/lon in General configuration area). Did you use a comma instead of a decimal point?

Pete AE5PL
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

Greetings Pete,

I re-installed today after receiving a report from a primary user that the DPRS data from a mobile 7100 user wasn't getting through the Pi-Star repeater to the linked G2 dashboard, where the same data are displayed as an orange callsign when the same radio is talking directly to the G2 repeater/gateway . Is G3 necessary on the Pi-Star linked repeater/gateway? In the following diagnostics, the only error found is the text in bold which is of some concern.

root@callsign(rw):DStarMonitor# grep -i aprs /etc/ircddbgateway
aprsEnabled=0
aprsHostname=northwest.aprs2.net
aprsPort=14580

root@callsign(rw):DStarMonitor# grep ircddbgateway dstarmonitor.properties
ircddbgatewayconfig=/etc/ircddbgateway

root@callsign(rw):DStarMonitor# find / -name DStarMonitor.service -ls
260626 4 -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 261 Aug 2 03:10 /lib/systemd/system/DStarMonitor.service
421 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Aug 29 18:46 /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/system.slice/DStarMonitor.service
6808 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Aug 24 10:38 /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/DStarMonitor.service -> /lib/systemd/system/DStarMonitor.service

root@callsign(rw):DStarMonitor# ./dsminstall.sh
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openjdk-8-jre is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
--2018-08-29 18:46:48-- http://www.aprs-is.net/downloads/dstar/ ... nitor4.zip
Resolving www.aprs-is.net (www.aprs-is.net)... 66.111.109.7
Connecting to www.aprs-is.net (www.aprs-is.net)|66.111.109.7|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 490983 (479K) [application/x-zip-compressed]
Saving to: ‘/opt/DStarMonitor/DStarMonitor.zip’

/opt/DStarMonitor/DStarMonitor.zip 100%[======================>] 479.48K 1.23MB/s in 0.1s

2018-08-29 18:46:49 (1.23 MB/s) - ‘/opt/DStarMonitor/DStarMonitor.zip’ saved [490983/490983]

mv: ‘dstarmonitor.properties’ and ‘/opt/DStarMonitor/dstarmonitor.properties’ are the same file
mv: ‘updatedsm.sh’ and ‘/opt/DStarMonitor/updatedsm.sh’ are the same file
mv: cannot stat ‘DStarMonitor.service’: No such file or directory
Archive: DStarMonitor4.zip
replace APRSIGate.jar? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: A
inflating: APRSIGate.jar
inflating: DStarMonitor4.jar
inflating: DStarQuery2.jar
inflating: DSTARRepeater.jar
inflating: javAPRSSrvrCore.jar
inflating: ObjectGenerator.jar
root@callsign(rw):DStarMonitor#
Last edited by w7efs on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
AE5PL

Post by AE5PL »

ct1dvm wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 am [The format was ok in decimal. I ended up using this

https://github.com/PhirePhly/aprs_cron_ ... njector.sh for the gateway daily. using deg, min, seconds
If you could, would you please send me (privately) your ircddbgateway config file and your dstarmonitor.properties file? I want to get this resolved and using a workaround doesn't help me achieve that. You should not need to have another program injecting objects since the IGate posits are extremely important to the APRS world and the repeater Item is important as well. The problem with those injectors can cause unintended conflicts if not configured correctly.

Pete AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net
OE1AKA

Post by OE1AKA »

AE5PL wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 pm
It will when Kenwood makes the TH-D74 D-STAR compliant. The TH-D74 is -almost- compliant and they are currently working on a fix that was presented to them by myself and others to make it fully compliant. Everything about what the D74 transmits is properly formatted but they missed the point in the most recent D-STAR spec (which is what the D74 is written to) that the GPS 20 character message field is supposed to be modifiable. I have been in talks with those associated with Kenwood to allow simple modification of the message field per the D-STAR spec and, as of my last communication with them, Kenwood is investigating a firmware release allowing modification of that field. DStarMonitor does not break the DPRS specification (which is there for a reason) to accommodate radios that are not fully compliant, which is the current case for the D74 (which I have also). Fortunately, Kenwood is a good company to work with for getting fixes in their next firmware release and we are hopeful we will see a fix to this issue soon.

So "no", DStarMonitor fully complies to the D-STAR and DPRS specifications which does not allow for potential mangled packet and non-standard packet generation. "Yes", we (myself and others) are in talks with Kenwood to make their radio compatible with all D-STAR gateway DPRS implementations so a user can know their position is being gated properly regardless of the gateway they are using.

Pete AE5PL
Dear Pete,

how is that effort with Kenwood going? Are we getting a firmware fix?
I saw that the latest D74 firmware release is more than a year old, and even that was only a cosmetic fix. https://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info ... nload.html
I have been holding off a D74 purchase for a few months now, because not having a fully functional D-PRS bothers me.

Thank you! 73 OE1AKA
w7efs

Post by w7efs »

I'll accept another door prize but won't purchase one.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

In most regards, I really like the TH-D74A, but had I known about this issue with DPRS, as well as the issue with not supporting D-RATS, ahead of time, I probably wouldn't have purchased it when it first came out a few years ago, which was when I was first getting into D-STAR. It's not a huge deal, but it does prevent me, for example, from participating in exercises with my local ARES group that use D-RATS.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
OE1AKA

Post by OE1AKA »

KE0FHS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:07 pm In most regards, I really like the TH-D74A, but had I known about this issue with DPRS, as well as the issue with not supporting D-RATS, ahead of time, I probably wouldn't have purchased it when it first came out a few years ago, which was when I was first getting into D-STAR. It's not a huge deal, but it does prevent me, for example, from participating in exercises with my local ARES group that use D-RATS.
Hi Toshen! I haven't seen D-RATS used with it yet, but I have just seen sb get it to work with the ICOM Android app to send data with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQx82VURXTg
In theory same settings could work for D-RATS. Give it a try please?
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

OE1AKA wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:24 am Hi Toshen! I haven't seen D-RATS used with it yet, but I have just seen sb get it to work with the ICOM Android app to send data with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQx82VURXTg
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, that's only a partial workaround, and a rather clunky one at that. Still hoping Kenwood will come through with a real fix someday.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
OE1AKA

Post by OE1AKA »

KE0FHS wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:48 pm
OE1AKA wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:24 am Hi Toshen! I haven't seen D-RATS used with it yet, but I have just seen sb get it to work with the ICOM Android app to send data with. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQx82VURXTg
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, that's only a partial workaround, and a rather clunky one at that. Still hoping Kenwood will come through with a real fix someday.
Thanks, you're welcome. Well I hear you on the clunkyness. Personally I am torn:
yes you do have to manually set the Kenwood to data mode in the settings. On the other hand you don't need a usb cable for 50 bucks, you can just use the Kenwoods built in Bluetooth wireless. Very convenient for portable (e.g. hiking) so you don't have to wrestle with USB cable.

One more question: is the ICOM app using the same data format for the chat and the pictures as D-RATS? Are they compatible?
Thanks in advance. 73 OE1AKA