DCS issue on Pi-Star:3.4.15 / Dashboard: 20180609

Help with D-Star related issues
kd4iz

DCS issue on Pi-Star:3.4.15 / Dashboard: 20180609

Post by kd4iz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:17 am

I ran into an interesting problem today while trying to use reflector DCS102B with my TH D74. I could not raise anyone on the other DCS reflector (006A) that I have configured to confirm that this problem effects any other DCS reflectors.

Using a DVMEGA as hotspot I see the following:
I issue UR = DCS102BL and pi-star says it is linked
I switched the D74 to CQCQCQ and attempted to talk and the parties on the reflector can't hear me but I can hear them.
If I use my 7100 configured the same way, they *can* hear me and I can hear them.
The reflector owner says that he does not see my gateway call "KD4IZ G" when I use the D74 but it does show when I use the 7100.
I have checked all the D74 memory settings associated with the link memory and the talk memory - they check out.
I do show up as linked, but not in the last heard list when I transmit.

Other REF and XRF reflectors do not exhibit this problem except for REF102B which is part of the same reflector cluster.

If I do the same link with the openSPOT everything including DCS102B works properly using both the D74 and the 7100.

My DVMEGA is connected though wifi (integrated) to a cable modem while the openSPOT is connected by ethernet to the modem - I have a feeling that there may be a wifi associated port that I have to unblock on the wifi side of the cable modem. I am at a loss to know what to look for at this point.

Any suggestions that move me along would be much appreciated!

Best - Jack - KD4IZ

M0GLJ

Re: DCS issue on Pi-Star:3.4.15 / Dashboard: 20180609

Post by M0GLJ » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Check the video in D-Star setup by W1MSG going found on youtube.

That will fix you problem

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:18 am

I'm guessing you already know the golden rule: If you're using a hotspot for D-STAR, it's really important that you set up your radio properly. For most hotspot devices, DV mode won't work; instead, you must set up RPT1, RPT2, and a zero offset (either +/−0.000). This is known as D-STAR Repeater (DR) or Duplex mode.

Since you're not having this issue with other REF and XRF reflectors, and not with your 7100 either, it sounds like you are using DR mode, so perhaps something is amiss with that specific repeater memory. If I were having this problem (I use a TH-D74A, too), I'd double check that repeater memory's RPT2 entry, to verify that "G" is really in the eighth spot.

It doesn't seem like it would be a port forwarding issue, either. As far as I know, DCS reflectors shouldn't need any special port forwarding. But you might want to check you the Pi-Star wiki article about port forwarding anyway: http://wiki.pistar.uk/Ports_to_forward_ ... NP_network

Good luck!
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

WS1L

Post by WS1L » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:12 am

So I will be building a Pi zero based hotspot as a learning project. I have been using an open spot for dstar for a while.

This sounds like the configuration from an open spot to use REF’s is different from that used by these hotspots. I’ll have to go look but for the open spot my RPT1 and RPT2 are blank. URCALL is set to CQCQCQ once linked.

Can someone confirm the settings that work with the open spot do NOT work with the pi-star? Both the radios have enough memories to handle both, just something else to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:40 am

I learned about this from a post by John Hays, K7VE, of NW Digital Radio in the Yahoo! Kenwood_TH-D74  group. In a thread about programming a DVAP (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Ken ... opics/1031), he pointed out that using DV isn't the correct method to use, even though some hotspot device makers support that method in an attempt to make it easier to use their devices. Instead, John said, we should be using D-STAR Repeater (DR) mode:
In the D-STAR protocol there is a bit in the header that says, this payload (transmission) is to be repeated.… This bit should always be set to 1 (true) when a transmission is to be repeated (or relayed). DVAPs, DVMegas, Hotspots, … all are 'repeating' or 'relaying' D-STAR transmissions to and from RF, and thus when transmitting from your radio to such devices they are 'repeaters' and the bit should be set.
I can confirm that you must use DR mode (a.k.a., Duplex mode) when using D-STAR with a ZUMspot or a MMDVM_HS Hat mounted on a RPi Zero W running Pi-Star. Otherwise, even if you can hear activity on a reflector, other operators on the reflector won't receive your transmissions.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm

kd4iz

Post by kd4iz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:24 am

All,

A resolution happened:

Thanks for the comments all. I had done exactly as Toshen, John Hays, and others suggested in setting up the D74 and it would not do an outbound transmit on DCS102 only... very weird! Others could see me keying up but no audio transmitted. Regardless - the 7100 worked so I was not inconvenienced.

Next morning, I resorted to the "hotspot 3 finger salute" method. I dropped my network, reset the cable modem, and rebooted the Hotspot... and the D74 began to work both ways as if nothing had happened. No settings were changed on the radio. Go figure. It has been solid as a rock since. I had not updated the DVMEGA firmare from 3.17 and wondered if that might be an issue. But it started working before I went to that step.

Finally found a spare Arduino UNO today and flashed the chip, swapped with DVMEGA and it fired up without a hitch and the Kenwood still talks... all that really matters.

SO talking with the reflector admin, Steve NO9S (ARRG group) we finally came to the conclusion it might have been an arcane mis-routing issue... since clearing the local routing table (among other things) occurred when I did the 3-finger salute. Otherwise... :?: