iPhone 11+WiF connection problems

Help setting up WiFi
wa2ang

iPhone 11+WiF connection problems

Post by wa2ang »

Greetings
I have a Zumspot Elite with the latest software, it connects to my home WiFi and works fine.
Next move was to allow my IPhone 11 IOS ver 14.7.1 to operate withe hotspot.
I entered my home Wifi as WiFi -0 and the IPhone as WiFi-1. My intention was to use the phone when away from home. The question is …. How do I get the phone’s hotspot “Blue” light bar - upper left on phone to come on when the Pi-Star is looking for the phone to make the WiFi hotspot connect. Seems like Iam missing something here as no connect seems to happen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
AF6VN

Re: iPhone 11+WiF connection problems

Post by AF6VN »

This sounds more like a question for Apple or the store you bought the phone from.

NOTE: iPhones apparently have a problem with some characters entered as hostname and or password/passphrase (things like turning " into "smart quotes" and more complex transformations). You may have to modify either or both to only use upper/lower letters and numbers, and avoid any punctuation marks (? and ! might be okay, but avoid ' ").

On my Samsung (Android) phone, I believe I have to go into Settings to enable local WiFi "hotspot" (access point) -- normally the phone connects to my home WiFi to use the home internet connection rather than wireless data.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
wa2ang

Post by wa2ang »

Greetings
Thank you for the response.
So first question is : How do I change the priority of the phones hotspot in the dashboard?

Once priority is set. Is there a sequence, does the phone hotspot have to be turned and running before the hotspot is rebooted?. My phone hotspot name is my call sign and my password is numbers/ letters no strange characters. Now assuming - The IPhone’ hotspot is turned on and the Zumspot is rebooted, I assume the Zumspot scans for the phone. Does thevconnection become automatic between the Iphone’s hotspot and Zumspot to be without further assistance? Will the
“Blue” light bar come on by itself ?
Thanks
Tom
wa2ang

Post by wa2ang »

Greetings
Thank you for your help to date.
I have made more interesting observations with my Zumspot in trying to connect my Zumspot to my IPhone 11.

I only entered my IPhone in the wlan0 input on the Zumspot WIFi and not my local home WiFi.
The Zumspot appears to find the IPhone and the “blue” bar on the IPhone lights up, but it appears to go on and off in cycles. When I look in the WiFi settings box - I see my IPhone and it’s data, it’s kits the phone as 2.4ghz not 5ghz

When I go to the Pi-Star dashboard I see the YSF Network box in the lower left side.
I see a message that says: ysf not service not started, even after I key the radio.
I do not see or hear any activity on America Link, along side another stationary home hotspot with activity on my local WiFi.

What am I missing at this point?
wa2ang

Post by wa2ang »

Greetings
When I configure my Zumspot Elite for my home WIFi it works fine.
You mentioned earlier that IPhone 11 would likely be running at 5 ghz but in my Pi-Star WiFi setup when connected to the IPhone the the data reads IPhone is at 2.4 ghz.
Thanks again for your help
Tom
wa2ang

Post by wa2ang »

Greetings

Got a hotspot connection to my iPhone once yesterday but not a second time. I am currently updating my phone to IOS 14.8 , then I will try it again
Thanks tom