Hotel WiFi

Help setting up WiFi
kJ5VX

Hotel WiFi

Post by kJ5VX »

I would like to use the hotel WiFi when I travel, however logon requires <User ID>, <Password> and <Room Number>. Is there a way to do this?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Hotel WiFi

Post by M1DNS »

No, it's been mentioned many times before in the FB group. Currently there's no method built into pi-star to aid you joining a 'captive portal'
You could usb tether too ur phone or laptop and use it to join the network, the pistar hotspot then gains access through the phone, laptop.

Andrew M1DNS, (MOD)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KO3F

Post by KO3F »

what procedure would be used to tether to a MacBook pro?...i've tried connecting to a usb port on the MacBook but i'm not seeing the mmdvm screen when i connect to my iPhone ...thanks
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

I have no knowledge of Mac hardware.
You can USB tether to an android / iphone then using its WiFi connect to and except the terms of service from the venue. You can do the same with a Linux or win laptop by USB tethering the pi to it. Ive had very little use time with a Mac or know if it supports tethering from the rasp pi.

Andrew M1DNS, (MOD)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KO3F

Post by KO3F »

Ok thanks
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

See this thread where we have been talking about the same issue...

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=926

Bill,
N4GWB
W1CY

Post by W1CY »

I solved this as follows: Got a travel Router/Access Point. When there is a wired connection (rare these days), I use the device as a router. When only wifi is available, I use the device to connect to the hotel WIFI and create my own WIFI network. From this point on you can use a switch on the physical RJ45 created on the travel device or use your computer to connect to the hotel and then your hotspot connects to your own wifi netork. Another ways to handle this is to install a command base web browser such as LYNX or similar. You add the browser to the pistar SD card and then you SSH to it and use the command line based browser to fill out the hotel captive web page. Another way is to have a spare SD card with regular Raspian, but it, authorize the MAC at the hotel's WIFI using the built in browser, then boot again with the pistar card. All 3 methods work, but the wifi travel router, although dividing the speed by 2 when being used with WIFI, is still the easiest option .