Are there new WiFi limitations on V4 RC2?

Help setting up WiFi
WB2KWC

Are there new WiFi limitations on V4 RC2?

Post by WB2KWC »

I have just loaded V4 RC2 on my hotspot (Zumspot GPIO on a RPi 0). I cannot get it to connect to my
WiFi AP but have no problems connecting to the Hotspot on my Android phone. I have no problems connecting
to the same AP using Pi-Star v3.

The only unusual thing about the AP is the WiFi password. The password is 40 characters long and has a semicolon
in it.

Ken WB2KWC
WB2KWC

Re: Are there new WiFi limitations on V4 RC2?

Post by WB2KWC »

I've found the solution!!

The issue was the fact that my AP was not broadcasting the SSID. I know this isn't foolproof security but it keeps me under the radar of the script-kiddies. Pi-star had no issues with my long password or the special characters in the password. I wonder if this is a problem with the new version of Raspbian or a defect in the new version of Pi-Star.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Did it work on 3.4 ?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

WB2KWC wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 am I've found the solution!!

The issue was the fact that my AP was not broadcasting the SSID. I know this isn't foolproof security but it keeps me under the radar of the script-kiddies. Pi-star had no issues with my long password or the special characters in the password. I wonder if this is a problem with the new version of Raspbian or a defect in the new version of Pi-Star.
This seems to be a general behavior with new devices... I used to have phones, Nooks, assorted tablets, all of which would reconnect to a memorized WiFi router even if the router was not broadcasting the SSID.

Not so with my newest phone, and maybe RPi's... If the SSID is not received, they appear to assume the WiFi is just not around to attempt a connection.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
WB2KWC

Post by WB2KWC »

Yes it did work in version 3.4. This is not a hardware issue because I am using the same hardware as I used with version 3.4.

I posted this to the forum as a feature request.

Ken WB2KWC
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Answered in the feature request...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk