Wifi mynanodv (combitronics)

Help setting up WiFi
f5odp

Wifi mynanodv (combitronics)

Post by f5odp »

Hi everybody, I need some help, please. I read all about wifi on the wiki & "playing with pistar" notes /wifi point 4.... but nothing works...
I have a mynanodv (combitronics) with a wifi dongle (802.11n) sold by combitronics too. I burnt an sd card with the last nanopistar : Pi-Star_NanoPi_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip , put the compliant wifi file as said on tutos, ... (ssid and pwd done with pistar tool : ok.. ) , started the hotspot... but nothing, nothing, nothing... no connection on wifi net,... and after 5, 10 20 minutes, no auto-ap ... if I connect with cable (rj45), the wifi option on dashboard is ok, but says : "interface is download" ! How can I do to start this interface ? What am I doing wrong ? Any help will be welcome ! Tks in advance !
KE0FHS

Re: Wifi mynanodv (combitronics)

Post by KE0FHS »

If I were in your shoes, there are two things I would try next: Auto AP probably won't work. I'm pretty sure that feature is limited to new versions of the Raspberry Pi (Zero W, 3B, 3B+, 3A+).
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
f5odp

Post by f5odp »

Many tanks for your answer !
Ok for the "original" image from Combitronics.
Just one thing please,... could you tell me how can I startup the interface ? What is the command line from Shell ?
Many thanks again for your help .
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

f5odp wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:16 pm Just one thing please,... could you tell me how can I startup the interface ? What is the command line from Shell ?
In a browser that is connected to the same network as the hotspot, type either:
http://pi-star/
or
http://pi-star.local/

That will open the Pi-Star dashboard where you can finish setting up Pi-Star.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
f5odp

Post by f5odp »

Thank you for your answer !
Yes, I already donne that (via rj45...) many times :) but the problem is that the wifi interface (wlan0...) stays always "down" and never "starts" ! :( in fact, that is the problem ! How to start the wifi interface...?
The wifi dongle is detected ; the wifi dashboard is on.. but the interface wlan is down... the interface is not mounted automatically on boot... I think I need to "manually" mount it ... but I dont know how to do it with the pistar soft... :(
Thanks in advance for your help :)
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

f5odp wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 am I think I need to "manually" mount it ... but I dont know how to do it with the pistar soft... :(
No, you don't need to manually mount it. I'm guessing you're facing an issue with how your router is configured. Because of all the different network setups and routers, this is a tricky area to troubleshoot, but if Pi-Star isn't connecting to your WiFi network, here are some things to look at:
  • Double check that you entered the network name and password correctly in Pi-Star. Typos happen!
  • A space in the network name can cause problems connecting to some routers.
  • Some radio/modem boards require the WPA or WPA2 security standard, and won't work with WEP.
  • Make sure your wireless network doesn't have "Wireless Isolation" enabled, which could prevent your computer and hotspot from communicating with each other.
  • Might help to reboot your router, too.
  • Oh, and also avoid frequencies used for other purposes, for example, 435.0 - 438.0 and 145.8 - 146.0, used internationally for satellite communication
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Do you have a CAT 5 cable connection at the time?

I vaguely recall my RPi-3 only brings up the WiFi when I do NOT have a CAT 5 cable connection.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
f5odp

Post by f5odp »

KE0FHS wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:15 pm
f5odp wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 am No, you don't need to manually mount it.
In fact,..yes ! You need to do it with a Dvmega from Combitronics ...
If you try with the original pistar version, wifi don't work...

I donwload the same version of pistar from combitronics site, and wifi works nice at the 1rst startup.
This means that Combitronics add a driver to the "original" version in the boot section... !!

Conclusion : for Mynanodv from Combitronics, if you need wifi, you must download the Combitronic version of pistar... or you need to add manually a driver in the boot section of the "original" version ...
73's
Xavier