Hello to all, having issues with the dashboard.

Help setting up WiFi
2E0JGR

Hello to all, having issues with the dashboard.

Post by 2E0JGR »

Hello to the group, thanks for accepting me to the forum. John 2E0JGR
I am not new to DStar, but I am new to PI-Star as I stumbled across the site and what a great job the programmers have done.

My equipment is a DVMega 3.26-fw dual band GPIO hat on a PI-3 model B V1.2 running Pi-Star:4.0.0-RC4, I also tried 3.4.17

I have set PI-Star to work via the LAN cable to the router as a DStar repeater for me and all this is configured perfectly and working so if anyone wanted a chat on the Dstar system in regards to the problem that I will duly mention then please PM me.

Upon the main screen under configuration I see no option for Wi-Fi control as I would like to set the system to work solely from Wi-Fi.
I had sent the configuration file with Wi-Fi details to the SD card and also entered it manually under the expert options but to no avail.
So can anyone shed some light on this issue as for two days I have searched for an answer?
DH2ID

Re: Hello to all, having issues with the dashboard.

Post by DH2ID »

I have the same setup here.
I can connect to my router via LAN or via WLAN, it just switches
to the connected port.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Just to be clear: when you look at the Pi-Star Configuration page and scroll down towards the bottom, you don't see a Wireless Configuration section? It should appear between the Firewall Configuration and Remote Access Password sections.

Have you tried booting up Pi-Star without having it connected directly via cable to your router?
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
2E0JGR

Post by 2E0JGR »

The option is not there, I shall take a screen shot and upload it here.
Attachments
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
2E0JGR

Post by 2E0JGR »

KE0FHS wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:40 pm Just to be clear: when you look at the Pi-Star Configuration page and scroll down towards the bottom, you don't see a Wireless Configuration section? It should appear between the Firewall Configuration and Remote Access Password sections.

Have you tried booting up Pi-Star without having it connected directly via cable to your router?
Yes I have tried that and it never seems to complete the set up as the led indication on the DVMega hat just fast pulses where as when it is ready it settles out to one pulse every second or so.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Are you using a good power supply? Steady 2.5A output is key.

If I were in your shoes, my next troubleshooting step would be to download and burn a fresh image of Pi-Star to a fresh microSD card.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
2E0JGR

Post by 2E0JGR »

Yes the power supply is stable and producing more than enough current for the PI3 as I was using as a temp PC for a bit of fun and all was well, I have burned a few different images and on this occasion I think I will try a new SD card as I have nothing to loose. :)
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

2E0JGR wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:04 pm I have burned a few different images and on this occasion I think I will try a new SD card as I have nothing to loose. :)
I just deleted my wireless network from my DVMEGA-DUAL 3.26, which is mounted on an RPi 3B and is running 3.4.17. I powered it off, connected it directly to my router via cable, restarted it and everything works fine. I still see the Wireless Configuration section (it just says "Interface Status : Interface is down"). I was able to add my WiFi network credentials back in there. When I rebooted again, it connected to my WiFi network just fine.

The fact that you don't see the Wireless Configuration section at all tells me that probably something is corrupt in your Pi-Star image. Downloading a fresh image and using a new microSD card might solve things.

The only other thing I can think of is that something is unusual about the way your router or wireless network is configured. In that case, here are some things to look at:
  • A space in the network name can cause problems connecting to some routers.
  • Some radio/modem boards require the WPA or WPA2 security standard, and won't work with WEP.
  • Make sure your wireless network doesn't have "Wireless Isolation" enabled, which could prevent your computer and hotspot from communicating with each other.
  • Might help to reboot your router, too.
FYI: Once I installed my WiFi credentials and rebooted, the hotspot connected via WiFi even though it was still plugged into my router via cable.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
2E0JGR

Post by 2E0JGR »

Thanks for the information and I have duly acted upon those suggestions and unfortunately that failed so I am at a loss and going to try an old version of the G4KLX software and see if I can access the Wi-Fi setting via a direct link via a VNC connection and if I can set it up this way then there has to be a glitch with either my router or PI-Star software or I have a bad PI3. I will update shortly.
AF4FA

Post by AF4FA »

Have you downloaded the live logs file and looked at it to see what the system had to say about the wifi startup?