Set up MMDVM to connect to Home wifi or iPhone

Help setting up WiFi
AA5I

Set up MMDVM to connect to Home wifi or iPhone

Post by AA5I »

Is there a way to have a conf file built to allow you to either connect to home wifi, or iPhone if you move the MMDVM hotspot to car? The only way I have found to do this is have 2 micro SD cards with each configured with its own network.

Gary
n9mxq

Re: Set up MMDVM to connect to Home wifi or iPhone

Post by n9mxq »

Just add both to your wifi config. I have my mobile network (android) set to top priority, so if it's on the node connects first.. and when the phone hotspot goes away, it'll connect to the home wifi.
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

On my 3b+ it looks like this:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
country=JP

network={
	ssid="N9MXQ"
	psk="password"
	id_str="0"
	priority=100
}

network={
	ssid="HamShack5"
	psk="password"
	id_str="1"
	priority=99
}

network={
	ssid="HamShack"
	psk="password"
	id_str="2"
	priority=98
}
Gene in Belvidere IL
than I have alone.
AA5I

Post by AA5I »

Many thanks on replies. Can the SSID contain spaces? Also on my conf file, the SSID and password generated by pi-star.uk has a long string of Hex numbers. The actual ones are commented out with a "#" sign.

Gary
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

Not sure on the space, but some special characters will make Pi-star choke. The newer version of the Wi-Fi builder adds the hex stuff, this one is one I've used since version 3.10, it still works in all my hotspots..
Gene in Belvidere IL
than I have alone.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

A space in the network name can cause problems connecting to some routers.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

AA5I wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 am Many thanks on replies. Can the SSID contain spaces? Also on my conf file, the SSID and password generated by pi-star.uk has a long string of Hex numbers. The actual ones are commented out with a "#" sign.

Gary
The long string of hex, is the pre-computed hash of the SSID and or PSK, this is by design and intentional, it helps us get past some of the weird character issues with SSIDs and PSKs.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VA3UV

Post by VA3UV »

n9mxq wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:44 pm On my 3b+ it looks like this:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
country=JP

network={
	ssid="N9MXQ"
	psk="password"
	id_str="0"
	priority=100
}

network={
	ssid="HamShack5"
	psk="password"
	id_str="1"
	priority=99
}

network={
	ssid="HamShack"
	psk="password"
	id_str="2"
	priority=98
}

Hi... I am trying to do the same - have my hotspot configured for my home and mobile network. I currently have my home wifi network set at priority 100, followed by my iPhone at priority 99. Can I seamlessly transition (meaning with the hotspot powered ON, via a USB battery bank) from Home to the Mobile, and expect the hotspot to auto-connect to my iPhone?

I tried transitioning with the hotspot on - it still showed the IP that it had at home. I have tried powering it down and powering back up while mobile (away from my home wifi) and it showed IP unavailable (it did not connect to my iPhone). Figuring that the apostrophe in the SSID name may be causing an issue, I have 're-named' my phone and have yet to try this again. Just wanted to confirm how this is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Ramesh.
VA3UV / WA3UV / G4PNQ
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

VA3UV wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:51 am Hi... I am trying to do the same - have my hotspot configured for my home and mobile network. I currently have my home wifi network set at priority 100, followed by my iPhone at priority 99. Can I seamlessly transition (meaning with the hotspot powered ON, via a USB battery bank) from Home to the Mobile, and expect the hotspot to auto-connect to my iPhone?

I tried transitioning with the hotspot on - it still showed the IP that it had at home. I have tried powering it down and powering back up while mobile (away from my home wifi) and it showed IP unavailable (it did not connect to my iPhone). Figuring that the apostrophe in the SSID name may be causing an issue, I have 're-named' my phone and have yet to try this again. Just wanted to confirm how this is supposed to work.

Thanks,

Ramesh.
VA3UV / WA3UV / G4PNQ
In my setup the phone network is first.. (N9MXQ) and the home networks are 2nd and 3rd (HamShack5 and HamShack). My portable has no problems switching back and forth when I go out with it. It's also handy when Comcast has a brain cramp and we lose internet. I can turn on my phone hotspot and my spots will all switch over when they see the cellphone hotspot in range.. and then back when I turn it off..
Gene in Belvidere IL
than I have alone.
VA3UV

Post by VA3UV »

Hi Gene:

Thanks for your reply. I have now changed my wpa_supplicant.conf file placing my iPhone at the top (slot 0, Priority 100) and my iPhone at slot 1, Priority 99).

Will report back following my next trip out!

Cheers,

Ramesh.
VA3UV / WA3UV / G4PNQ