Set up MMDVM to connect to Home wifi or iPhone

Help setting up WiFi
VA3UV

Re: Set up MMDVM to connect to Home wifi or iPhone

Post by VA3UV »

Hi Gene:

Took my Pi zero hotspot out with me earlier today.... (without powering it down as I left home. It is powered off a USB battery bank). My iPhone has the 'personal hotspot' enabled (and it has been configured in wpa_supplicant.conf, using the Pi-Star GUI, etc...).

After driving for some 15 minutes, the Pi zero still had not connected to my iPhone hotspot. In fact, when I keyed up on my DMR HT, the display on the Pi Zero continued to show its (now stale) IP, that it had when it was at home.

I then powered the Pi Zero down, rebooted it (and boy does it take a while to boot up) - I was trying to force it to establish a new WiFi connection with my iPhone hotspot... no luck!

Came back home and the Pi Zero hotspot has not auto-reconnected to my home WiFi.

Ramesh.
VA3UV / WA3UV / G4PNQ
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Did you do a WiFi scan (from another device) to see if it fell through to the "auto AP" (setup) mode?

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
N4cwz

Post by N4cwz »

I have tried just about everything under the sun to get my zumspot pi-0 to connect to my iPhone 7 hotspot. Running 3.4.11 works fine on the home network but iPhone,nada. Even tried dropping the wpa supplicant file in boot and still nada. The “devil” is always in the details. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Tnx 73 Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

For some reason, the iPhone is really challenging for this. Try searching around the forum; you may find some hints because lots of others have run into this issue. One thing that may help is to try using the IP address instead of the pi-star url.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
N4cwz

Post by N4cwz »

Thanks a lot. I actually got tagged on the pi-Star Facebook forum and got it working! Couldn’t believe it. Come to find out the hotspot screen has to be (forefront) on ur iPhone and maybe even lit up. One fellow said it had to be lit(not in screensaver mode) and my buddy said it didn’t. Still have work to make sure it got it right but I have been working on this forever! At least a year,maybe year and a half. Just one of those “details” I had no idea about!! Thanks a lot 73 n4cwz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

That's pretty crazy. Glad you're making progress!
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
wh6fvc

Post by wh6fvc »

I have iPhone XS Max running iOS 13. Never gotten it to connect with iPhone. I’ve changed SSID to RideShareWiFi, and no spaces on password. Still won’t connect. It sees it not anything past that. Please help.
W8DSB

Post by W8DSB »

try to turn off bluetooth and see if it connects