IOS 13 and Iphone Hotspot

Help setting up WiFi
n9nws

IOS 13 and Iphone Hotspot

Post by n9nws »

Not sure if anyone experienced this. I upgraded 1 of the two Iphones I have to IOS 13. Well the iPhone I upgraded to IOS 13, when my pistar hotspot connects to my iPhone hotspot, it disconnects all the time now. I connect to my other iPhone my pistart hotspot, its fine. Just IOS 13 is giving me troubles. Any suggestions??

I tried resetting network, and all that crazy stuff but still has a bad connection and drops the hotspot connection all the time.
w7efs

Re: IOS 13 and Iphone Hotspot

Post by w7efs »

It seems your question is better-posed in an "IOS 13" discussion forum.
N2TDI

Post by N2TDI »

Mine is doing the same thing. It always stayed connected, but since update to ios13 is disconnects after a few minutes.
kc7ngc

Post by kc7ngc »

It's a known bug with IOS. People been complaining about it on apple support forums since Oct.

Just google "ios 13 hotspot disconnects". People have a lot of theories. Last thing I heard was Apple was "aware of the issue" but beyond that people have different troubleshooting procedures that seem to work for some but not for others.
kg5pte

Post by kg5pte »

Ok where is the IOS 13 , Now IOS 14 discussion board ?
kg5pte

Post by kg5pte »

Subject: Apple IOS 13 and up through IOS 4.5.1 and PI Star version 4.1.4 on a PI Zero W. (BM DMR)

Hi last week while traveling with my Apple iPhone 12 running IOS version 4.5.1 , and naming my iphone with a short name in this case my call sign KG5PTE, Here where the steps I had to go through to get the PI star MMDVM Pi Zero W to connect. And it was VERY hit and miss. So under personal hot spot toggled on "Allow others to join" and "Maximize Compatibility" , I ALLWAYS Turn on my Personnel hotspot FIRST on the iPhone. Then a few minutes latter. I turn power on to the MMDVM (Pi Star Zero W running PI star 4.1.4) wait for the screen to show activity. I PTT the radio throw my call sign out on the talk group. And note the IP address listed on the screen. (Since iPhone does not have a client list of connected devices like and android phones do which allows you to note the IP address the smart phone assigns the MMDVM). Sometimes the address shows the default IP 192.168.50.1 which means the MMDVM did not tether to the iPhone. OR I get "Address Unknown" which means the MMDVM did not tether to the iPhone. My personal opinion is Apple IOS is NOT Linux , but Pi Star is and so is Android OS. When I had a Samsung Galaxy S-8 I never once had a tether problem. But with Apple IOS 14.5.1 it is a crap shot. I never have a problem connecting my MMDVM to my Netgear router at home. Works great. Word of advise. Apple IOS is the PROBLEM. Has to be. I setup my MMDVM and TYT UV 380 radio and iPhone 10 S Max one day in an Apple store in Austin TX and showed the techs the inability to get an iPhone to tether to a pi star mmdvm. This was back when IOS 13 came out. IOS 12 worked good and it worked every time. Live it to apple to ....blank blank something up.