WIFI with no password

Help setting up WiFi
N4GWB

WIFI with no password

Post by N4GWB »

Someone suggested in another forum that PI-Star will not connect to Wifi that does not have a password.

For example, I have tried connecting to public WIFI whose SSID is "guest." On my phone I connect and it does not require a password and off to the internets. But, when I try to connect the hotspot it will not do so. Again, others have suggested PI-Star will not allow this. True???
N4GWB

Re: WIFI with no password

Post by N4GWB »

I see... Is it possible to connect via the PI-star interface or must that change be made via wpa_supplicant file?

I have multiple SSID profiles in Pi-Star. One for home, one for a secured public wifi spot, and I would like to add the non-password SSID profile so that it will automatically connect to whichever profile is available. Possible?
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

Got it. I have edited the wpa-supplicant.conf file before for other projects using a raspberry pi, butI don't know a heck of a lot about linux. I was not clear that more than one network can be added to the file. Thanks so much for the help!
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

What I think the ones saying 'No you can't do that' is Open networks that have a "landing Page" or You must agree to our terms of use before using our internet type pages.

This will not work as you have no way to have the Pi-Star do that automatically (think Starbucks, some conference places, hotels, etc.)

But if you run the wifi with no password then as above should work.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
N4GWB

Post by N4GWB »

W1KMC,

Thanks for the tip. I am familiar with capture portals the require a login or acceptance of terms. I use a travel router in these situations. My query was only related to WIFI SSID's that do not require a password. When I tried to connect via PI-Star, it would not succeed. It appears the only way to accomplish this is through Linux before PI-Star loads.