MMDVM Hotspot not Internet Connection

Help setting up WiFi
AF6VN

Re: MMDVM Hotspot not Internet Connection

Post by AF6VN »

DH5SDL wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:25 pm The Dashboard shows green ....the same green like Home connected via ethernet cable
All looks good but no link via Dashboard or Transceiver
The conclusion I make from that is

There is nothing wrong with this SD card nor with the Pi-Star hardware.

The problem is downstream from that -- eg: either your "caravan" router/extender is blocking traffic on needed ports, OR whatever router that talks to is blocking that traffic.

Make sure your "caravan" router forwards the ports shown {Note: some Google hits seem to imply this is only needed for particular reflector types viewtopic.php?t=1063&start=10#p5821 }
https://www.k6jm.com/portforwarding.htm
https://github.com/dl5di/OpenDV/wiki/Fi ... Forwarding
(note: Pi-Star somehow negotiates those with uPnP capable routers, as I recall, which is likely why "Home" is working; it may also be negotiating with the "Caravan" router/extender in which case the problem is whatever WiFi router it connects to -- you'll have to be able to configure THAT node manually as I doubt the extender relays uPnP information [or the end WiFi does not honor uPnP])

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
DH5SDL

Post by DH5SDL »

Ok but i can't to link any reflector.
Not with dtmf from die Transceiver and not with the Button on the Dashboard.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:14 pm
DH5SDL wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:31 pm Ok but i can't to link any reflector.
Not with dtmf from die Transceiver and not with the Button on the Dashboard.
Do you understand that it is possible the ports that are needed are being blocked by your Internet Service Provider?

That is why I suggested to test the hotspot on a network that you know for sure works correctly. That way you can find out if it doesn't work on a known working network, or it does work.
Unless I misread something, the OP stated that going through his "Home" router functions correctly. It is the mobile ("Caravan") using a WiFi extender/repeater/router which is failing. That connection is

radio <-> MMDVM Hat <-> R-Pi <-1> extender/router <-2> some other WiFi node <-> Internet

{Together these are "Pi-Star", -1 is Ethernet cable in this testing, -2 is a WiFi link}

My suspicion is that the OP doesn't have access to the end WiFi router (it is perhaps some public WiFi system) and that it is that WiFi node which is firewalling the ports needed by Pi-Star.

As for the OP -- I've never used DTMF codes for reflector selection and have minimal knowledge of how it works (I just Googled and found a short guide, but my TH-D74 "reflector" menu seems much faster than those cryptic DTMF instructions). However, if you fail to get a reflector link using the dashboard buttons the problem, AGAIN, would be in the router(s) you are going through, and NOT Pi-Star software.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber