hidden ssid pi star can't find my network

Help setting up WiFi
kc8zdf

hidden ssid pi star can't find my network

Post by kc8zdf »

Hello,

I have pi star with my hidden wifi network. I have done some research already and found the sudo file, I add the code and save and exit but it still never connects. I found a old post from 2018 and I may very well still be doing something wrong. Can anyone shed any light? I can add some pictures if needed. But for what ever reason it's still not connecting to my hidden network. Using wpa2 personal Thanks.
kc8zdf

Re: hidden ssid pi star can't find my network

Post by kc8zdf »

ke7fns,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried with numbers at the start of my wifi password and now with out numbers and only charactors letters and with my asus RT-AC68u and still not connecting to it. If i broadcast my ssid it connect fine. if I hide it it doesn't. Thanks for info. I will keep trying to trouble shoot.
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

You need to add a line "ssid_scan=1" to the appropriate network entry in order to connect to hidden wifi's.

Code: Select all

network={
        #ssid=...
        ssid=...
        scan_ssid=1
        #psk=...
        psk=...
          :
}
kc8zdf

Post by kc8zdf »

KN2TOD wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:14 pm You need to add a line "ssid_scan=1" to the appropriate network entry in order to connect to hidden wifi's.

Code: Select all

network={
        #ssid=...
        ssid=...
        scan_ssid=1
        #psk=...
        psk=...
          :
}
adding exactly scan_ssid=1 to my code in between just as show here worked perfect!!!!! The other info I read showed different code and I was modifing to much!!!! Only add scan_ssid=1 if you're having my issue. Thank you all for info and help. Case closed!!!!!
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:18 pm I don't see how hiding the broadcast of the SSID could cause it to not connect. The device doesn't need the SSID to be broadcast in order to connect to it. Do any of your other devices have issues connecting to it when it is hidden?
Unfortunately theory doesn't always translate...

I used to hide my SSID too, but ended up with a number of devices that just wouldn't connect to known/memorized nodes unless the node broadcast the SSID. It seems these devices won't initiate a test for the SSID being in range.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber