Wifi Network change

Help setting up WiFi
N1JWW

Wifi Network change

Post by N1JWW »

I am porting my Verizon phones to AT&T. In short, I no longer have a working Verizon hotspot (jetpack). This was programmed into the Pi-Star software on my Jumbo Spot.

I added the new At&t hotspot SSID and key and it won't connect to the new AT&T phone by hot spot. Perhaps I misspelled the Password or Network name.

How can I get back into the pi-star software so I can correct the WiFi info?

Sorry, but sounds like a dumb question....

Jeff W Waldrop / N1JWW
PA3FAT

Re: Wifi Network change

Post by PA3FAT »

check this link out:
https://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php

the output file you can place directly under root of your sd card that is in the raspberry pi slot. You might need an adapter to read this sd card as is small.
There should be some files on the sd card already. Might be some parts are marked as unreadable (multiple devices E: F: G: or whatever) show when the reader is accessing the sd card. Pick the one that is showing some information like regular files. Place the file there.
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

PA3FAT wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:47 pm check this link out:
https://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php

the output file you can place directly under root of your sd card that is in the raspberry pi slot. You might need an adapter to read this sd card as is small.
There should be some files on the sd card already. Might be some parts are marked as unreadable (multiple devices E: F: G: or whatever) show when the reader is accessing the sd card. Pick the one that is showing some information like regular files. Place the file there.
Ok, Great! Already created the new "wpa_supplicant.conf" file. I will replace the old one with this one.....

Jeff W Waldrop
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

N1JWW wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:46 am How can I get back into the pi-star software so I can correct the WiFi info?

If the Pi-Star installation is not finding ANY configured WiFi link, it will turn itself into an access point (no internet access) broadcasting an SSID that has "setup" in the name (or something just as obvious). You can connect to that access point using some other device to edit configuration settings.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

AF6VN wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:00 pm
N1JWW wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:46 am How can I get back into the pi-star software so I can correct the WiFi info?

If the Pi-Star installation is not finding ANY configured WiFi link, it will turn itself into an access point (no internet access) broadcasting an SSID that has "setup" in the name (or something just as obvious). You can connect to that access point using some other device to edit configuration settings.
Thanks Dennis. I created a new file (with my new iPhone's SSID / PSK, to place into the boot section of the card. I planned to copy over current file on card. That should do it, right?

Jeff Waldrop :ugeek:
PA3FAT

Post by PA3FAT »

it will show as "pi-star" in the list of access points on your pc or phone if it can't use the file found in root.
Connect and then "pi-star.local" in a browser to access the interface and define your wifi settings in the bottom part of the configuration screen.
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

PA3FAT wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 pm it will show as "pi-star" in the list of access points on your pc or phone if it can't use the file found in root.
Connect and then "pi-star.local" in a browser to access the interface and define your wifi settings in the bottom part of the configuration screen.
10-4, Thanks again. I thought I was doomed. (Probably am, anyway)

Jeff W Waldrop / N1JWW
PA3FAT

Post by PA3FAT »

did it work ?
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

I am at work till 5:30 CST. I will make an attempt to replace the file this evening and I will report back....

Jeff W Waldrop / N1JWW
PA3FAT

Post by PA3FAT »

Ok Jeff. Wasn't aware as your response came quite quickly.
Take your time.

Still a newbee myself, just wandered through the initial setup last week.
2nd jumbospot arrived today. Needs some soldering onthe OLED. Pi zero to be delivered still...

Trying to help as far as experience goes.