Cannot connect Pi-Star/Zumspot to internet

Help setting up WiFi
K0TU

Cannot connect Pi-Star/Zumspot to internet

Post by K0TU »

Greetings, I cannot connect Pi-Star or Zumspot to internet.

IP provider is Windstream
Modem/Router is T3200
I use Zumspot Nextion 3.5
Also use Fire Tablet

When I turn on Zumspot, my tablet indicates it connected to WIFI, but then indicates “No Internet Access Detected” Pi-Star indicates I have 5 bars with ! on the right side. (my tablet, printer, ROKU and wife’s truck have internet access).

I cannot load Pi-Star Setup by typing “pi-star” I have to enter 192.168.50.1, then Pi-Star loads. To get back to the internet, I have to go from Pi-Star to WIN_201...(on my tablet WIFI indicator). I have been able to set-up Pi-Star, was able to detect internet (Win_201...), but does not connect to internet. Everything seems to be working well except connecting Zumspot to internet, and thus connecting Pi-Star to internet.

I have contacted Winstream, found no help there.

Any ideas how I can connect my hotspot to the internet?

Be aware, I have gone from having never heard of Hotspot, Pi-Star, Raspberry Pi (the words are confusing to me!) ten days ago to where I am now, so please be patient (if I get a response) as I may be baffled by what is recommended. I am determined to learn though.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Joel, K0TU (feel free to correspond to my e-mail at QRZ.com, might be less embarrassing for me)
K0TU

Re: Cannot connect Pi-Star/Zumspot to internet

Post by K0TU »

Thank you Sir for a prompt and useful response.

I have tried your recommendation, but no success. I believe one problem is not understanding my SSID and password. On the side of my modem/router, it says WI-FI Network Name (2.4GHz): WIN201367, repeats this for 5GHz, but adding a 5 to WIN5. Then is says WI-Network Password which is several letters and numbers. Now on my NETGEAR Network Setup Summary (printed sheet of paper), it says Wireless Settings SSID then por...., then Security WPA2-PSK, then passphrase gle...... (where there are ..., I believe these are confidential). I am embarrassed to state this (when this is resolved I will get over it) I do not know which of the above I should use for my SSID and password.

On Pi-Star, when I scan for networks (10sec) it retrieves: SSID WIN_201367 channel 2.4GHZ Ch1 signal -35dBm security none and
SSID this is blank 2.4GHz Ch11 -60dBm WPA2-PSK.....

Also, when I follow your steps, enter a SSID and password, I save and connect, Wireless Configuration of Pi-Star blinks, sometimes goes to a blank box, my hotspot initializes by itself, but I turn it off and on again. And the WI-FI symbol on my tablet changes from pi-star with 5 bars and ! to my normal internet symbol.

I do appreciate and thank you for your information. If you can make sense of the above, thank you again. Also, about using WI-FI builder, I have to decide on SSID and password again. Also do not know how to drop that on my tiny tiny SD card, does not fit my slots, I do have an adapter, but I am concerned about damaging what is already there.

If you or any kind person responds and I have not promptly thanked you, I am taking a few days off from this to clear my head and approach it again from a different angle and clearer mind.

Joel, K0TU
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

K0TU wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:44 pm On Pi-Star, when I scan for networks (10sec) it retrieves: SSID WIN_201367 channel 2.4GHZ Ch1 signal -35dBm security none and
SSID this is blank 2.4GHz Ch11 -60dBm WPA2-PSK.....
THAT concerns me as it implies your router is wide open for anybody to use. The second line is likely coming from some neighbor, given the relative weakness in signal. They may be configured to not broadcast their SSID, but the scan was able to determine that they are using WPA2-PSK (note: scans shouldn't be displaying any personal information, such as passwords, so I'm not sure why you put .... on that).

Also, when I follow your steps, enter a SSID and password,
You state "a SSID..." -- these must match the configuration of your router. You don't just pick some values.

I recommend you find an instruction manual for your router, and connect to its administration pages to confirm the SSID, password, and security model (WPA, WPA2, obsolete WEP). {WEP -- wired equivalency privacy -- is basically a simple en-clair password; WPA uses some sort of encrypted/hashed passcode).

https://setuprouter.com/router/actionte ... /login.htm
https://setuprouter.com/router/actionte ... m/wifi.htm

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
K0TU

Post by K0TU »

Thank you Dennis for responding and the information.

Regarding the security, I had temporarily turned it off because when I first began exploring pi-star, it seemed to interfere with the process. My wife has since told me to turn it on again and to quit messing around with the modem/router :?

Thank you for your concern and also for you advice and web sites to follow.

Best regards,
Joel, K0TU
K0TU

Post by K0TU »

Making progress, maybe.

My Zumspot hotspot indicates now an IP-Address of wlano_ap: 192.168.50.1. This seems good. I transmitted to my hotspot using Yaesu FT70DR, Zumspot lit up with my call sign indicating I am transmitting, then said listening. No one responded to my call. Pi-Star wireless setup still indicates no interface. Pi-Star on my tablet still 5 bars with !, also still says cannot connect to internet.

Possibly there is setting(s) on my modem/router that need to be changed? I just cannot get an internet connection. On Pi-Star wireless connection, I have the right SSID and password. Just no interface.

Joel, K0TU
G0WBX

Post by G0WBX »

Another option would be to ditch the wireless altogether since this seems to be such a confusing concept.

You could buy one of these:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2992

I just suggested adafruit because I assume since they sell it it works with no issues.
FYI. I have one of those, the "decent" ones with the proper magnetics behind the LAN port, if I recall, bought from Pimoroni or The PiHut in the UK (Both respected resellers.) It does work very well indeed for it's intended purpose, and is very convenient as able to connect a keyboard and mouse + USB memory stick. With care, it can also provide +5V for the PiZero too.

But... When I tried it with a Hotspot, I found it to be extremely vulnerable to nearby RF sources, especially pulsed sources, such as a mobile phone or DMR rig, even on low power! Such things will cause it (or the PiZero's USB port) to be corrupted and crash, locking up the Pi-Star. (Oddly, the Hotspot MMDVM board itself, even on 100% power out, doesn't affect it!)

It's a shame, because a wired LAN is usually so much more reliable than WiFi.

Trouble is, there are dozens of these things on the market, sold by even more sellers, known and unknown. The first one I had (an eBay item) the LAN chip was unknown to Linux or Windows. The drivers on the accompanying CD also failed to work. The downloaded sources for the same, failed to build too, so that went back (for a 'full' refund!)

Unfortunately, I found out the problem with the otherwise excellent replacement a very long time after I bought it, so no chance to return it for a refund.

If you get one, try it as a regular LAN adapter, and fire up your DMR or similar radio in the same room. If it survives, great you got a good one! If the Pi does something funny and locks up, reboots or ??? It "may be" the adapter. Narrowing down that sort of issue takes a lot of time and patience, and probably a lot of Ferrite!

Take care and 73.

Dave G0WBX.
Forever confused.
K0TU

Post by K0TU »

To everyone, I apologize for such a delay in responding, took some time off from this to clear my mind.

You had given your advice a lot of thought and time, and for this I am grateful. I did decide on using an Ethernet adapter. In fact, I had purchased the adapter before I had returned to read the advice. It is now connected to my Zumspot, and it is working beautifully. It is on as I type, listening to America Link Network. Its pretty cool.

Thank you again for your help!

Best Wishes,
Joel, K0TU
K0TU

Post by K0TU »

Update...

I had just connected to pi-star/ to check my settings. Scrolling down to Wireless Configuration, I saw WIFI Interface Up. I disconnected my Ethernet adapter, and everything is working perfectly! I am connected to WIFI, I am connected to the internet. Interesting...

Using an Ethernet adapter is just fine with me although. The only disadvantage is I had bought the Zumspot hotspot partly for the LCD screen. Its bigger, brighter, more colorful, easier to read info then on my Yaesu FT70D. Connected to the Ethernet, I have to leave my Zumspot in another room. Not anymore.

Once again, I appreciate all the help everyone provided me.

73, Joel, K0TU