wifi builder

Help setting up WiFi
AA1PR

wifi builder

Post by AA1PR »

Ive used the wifi builder tool and created 2 files I need to drag & drop in the boot folder accessing my pi-star via winscp
is there any specific location or folder in there where it needs to go
I tried dropping them in the whole boot folder & it wouldnt allow such
all permission were set correctly from what I know playing with allstar

also on a side not if I go into my pi-star and goto wifi
why cant I add a second wifi connection with out having to connect to it, (like say Im home but adding work wifi info)
this makes no sense

please advise

mike
AA1PR

Re: wifi builder

Post by AA1PR »

Sir,
many thanks for all your hard work
its definitely a learning curve
Ill do 1 at a time then

AA1PR

Re: wifi builder

Post by AA1PR »

Sir, thank you I understand & can do all of this
KE7FNS wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:53 pm
AA1PR wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:41 pm many thanks for all your hard work
I'm just a end user like yourself. I do however have experience with some specific things that you were trying to do, like running into write permissions while using winscp.
AA1PR wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:41 pm its definitely a learning curve
Ill do 1 at a time then
When it boils down to things it is just Linux.

When you say you'll do one at a time, I think that means one wpa_supplicant file at a time which is going to cause you grief. The way it is setup when you drop a file all the old wifi settings are wiped out and replaced, and that wpa_supplicant file is deleted from the /boot partition once it is used. The settings are moved to the OS area where they need to be for future reboots. So you'll constantly have to place a wpa_supplicant file on the SD card every time you change networks. Thats just not feasible.

What I would recommend is just opening the 2nd wpa_supplicant file you created and copy the section:

Code: Select all

network={

ssid=blah2
psk=blah2
priority=99
}
Then paste that into the 1st file after the one that is there. So it looks like this.

Code: Select all

network={

ssid=blah1
psk=blah1
priority=100
}

network={

ssid=blah2
psk=blah2
priority=99
}
Then it will scan for both networks and whenever one of those networks is within range it will connect to it. If both are in range it will use the priority.

One of the issues with Raspbian (the OS that the RPi runs) has though is it doesn't auto connect to wifi hotspots so if you go out of range of one, and get in range of the other it won't reconnect, like you are familar with on other devices.

It will require a reboot when you get to your second area, but on reboot it will detect it and connect to it. Its just one of those annoyances.

Hope that helps.