Please clarify the new Auto AP SSID PSK configuration option

Help setting up WiFi
KE0FHS

Please clarify the new Auto AP SSID PSK configuration option

Post by KE0FHS »

The new Auto AP SSID PSK configuration option was added in the 20210125 dashboard update. In a previous related post (viewtopic.php?p=13568#p13568), Andy said:
“Setting the password on the Auto AP mode is coming, and soon the Auto AP will be set to no password for the out of the box setup, and then your own password once the Pi-Star has been setup.”

1) Previously, on a fresh install, the Auto Access Point would be named “Pi-Star-Setup”. Once Pi-Star was configured, the Access Point name would be the same as the configured Hostname (by default, “pi-star”). This behavior seems to be unchanged.

2) Previously, on a fresh install, the Auto Access Point would be “raspberry” and that would remain the password once Pi-Star was configured. As of 20210127, if I haven’t added an Auto AP SSID PSK password, the password remains “raspberry”.

3) After I add an Auto AP SSID PSK password, I need to use that new password in order to connect to the Auto AP. So it looks to me like this new option enables me to set different passwords for the Auto AP SSID and the Remote Access Password.

4) Andy’s comment says “soon the Auto AP will be set to no password for the out of the box setup.” Since the most recent Pi-Star image (Pi-Star_RPiV4.1.2_20-May-2020.img) precedes this change, I’m guessing this won’t change until there is a new Pi-Star image available (currently, it’s still “raspberry” for the out of the box setup). Is this correct?

5) How does this change relate to Pi-Star WiFi Captive Portal? Because I don’t travel much if at all anymore, this isn’t something I can easily test. But I don’t understand how this change would help connect to a password protected guest network at a hotel or coffee shop. Am I missing something? Is there a separate new Pi-Star WiFi Captive Portal feature that has been implemented in a recent Pi-Star version?

Thanks.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Please clarify the new Auto AP SSID PSK configuration option

Post by MW0MWZ »

KE0FHS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm The new Auto AP SSID PSK configuration option was added in the 20210125 dashboard update. In a previous related post (viewtopic.php?p=13568#p13568), Andy said:
“Setting the password on the Auto AP mode is coming, and soon the Auto AP will be set to no password for the out of the box setup, and then your own password once the Pi-Star has been setup.”

1) Previously, on a fresh install, the Auto Access Point would be named “Pi-Star-Setup”. Once Pi-Star was configured, the Access Point name would be the same as the configured Hostname (by default, “pi-star”). This behavior seems to be unchanged.
Exactly so, that didn't change.
KE0FHS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm 2) Previously, on a fresh install, the Auto Access Point would be “raspberry” and that would remain the password once Pi-Star was configured. As of 20210127, if I haven’t added an Auto AP SSID PSK password, the password remains “raspberry”.
Yep that's how it is currently...
KE0FHS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm 3) After I add an Auto AP SSID PSK password, I need to use that new password in order to connect to the Auto AP. So it looks to me like this new option enables me to set different passwords for the Auto AP SSID and the Remote Access Password.
Yes and that is *all* it does.
KE0FHS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm 4) Andy’s comment says “soon the Auto AP will be set to no password for the out of the box setup.” Since the most recent Pi-Star image (Pi-Star_RPiV4.1.2_20-May-2020.img) precedes this change, I’m guessing this won’t change until there is a new Pi-Star image available (currently, it’s still “raspberry” for the out of the box setup). Is this correct?
Exactly that - I will remove the password such that on the very first boot, there will be no password (open SSID) to make it more simple to use the AutoAP.
However I may choose to backup the AutoAP PSK, or not - still mulling that over - I stand by my decision to NOT backup passwords to help save us from ourselves :)
KE0FHS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm 5) How does this change relate to Pi-Star WiFi Captive Portal? Because I don’t travel much if at all anymore, this isn’t something I can easily test. But I don’t understand how this change would help connect to a password protected guest network at a hotel or coffee shop. Am I missing something? Is there a separate new Pi-Star WiFi Captive Portal feature that has been implemented in a recent Pi-Star version?
The Captive portal relates to what happens when you connect to the AutoAP - currently it presents you with the config page, without requiring a login or password of any kind - allowing you to configure everything without a password, this is NOT related to using a captive portal like you might find in a hotel / airport etc.
KE0FHS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm Thanks.
Any time :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:23 pm
MW0MWZ wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:05 pm
KE0FHS wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm 1) Previously, on a fresh install, the Auto Access Point would be named “Pi-Star-Setup”. Once Pi-Star was configured, the Access Point name would be the same as the configured Hostname (by default, “pi-star”). This behavior seems to be unchanged.
Exactly so, that didn't change.
So whats the reasoning of making the Auto AP name change to the hostname? Shouldn't it always be "Pi-Star-Setup"? That way if there ever was a wifi connection failure and the Auto AP was active a simple area scan would always result in the same "Pi-Star-Setup" SSID being active. I think many of the users already have such difficulty with connecting pi-star to a router over wifi that it should always be something easily identifiable.
And what would happen if you have more than one Hotspot with AutoAP enabled?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:04 am How well does Auto AP work with multiple hotspots when both are hardcoded to use channel 6?
Exactly, what would happen is you would have a bunch of SSIDs on the same channel, with the same details, how can you choose the correct one? - you cant.

So we make the SSID follow the host name, so when you scan for WiFi hotspots to connect to, you know which is which.
Adding the option to change the PSK means at least if you take your Pi-Star out mobile, or use it in a hotel, the rest of the world does not know the information to connect to the hotspot.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ