version 4.1.4 doesn't see iPhone 12 SSID

Help setting up WiFi
W6TRF

version 4.1.4 doesn't see iPhone 12 SSID

Post by W6TRF »

Greetings. I'm running pi-star version 4.1.4 and have an iPhone 12 running iOS 14.4.1 (latest). When I choose "Scan for Networks" in pi-star, it returns a number of SSIDs but not my iPhone hotspot. I have made sure my iPhone has a very simple name (Jon) AND I have the hotspot page open on the iPhone while I perform the scan as I've seen posts that claim that you have to be on that page for it to be recognizable.

I have also "manually" added the SSID and password but unfortunately, the pi-star does not find the iphone that way either.

Any suggestions of things to check on the phone or pistar or workarounds?

Thanks in advance for the help.
W6TRF

Re: version 4.1.4 doesn't see iPhone 12 SSID

Post by W6TRF »

KE7FNS....thank you for the spot-on answer. That did it.

I had no idea that the iPhone 12 was only using a 5Ghz Hotspot by default. It makes sense since the range of "discoverability" is pretty short.

Thanks again
Kd2oqo

Post by Kd2oqo »

I have an iPhone 11 with the same problem. The Phone
Hotspot is working correctly but I cannot connect to it with my pi-star. It finds the iPhone but cannot get WiFi to operate.
EA7HOH

Post by EA7HOH »

Kd2oqo wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:31 pm I have an iPhone 11 with the same problem. The Phone
Hotspot is working correctly but I cannot connect to it with my pi-star. It finds the iPhone but cannot get WiFi to operate.
Both the SSID and the password on your iPhone must be simple names, no special characters, no spaces.

Only LETTERS and NUMBERS

73´s