new router problems

Help setting up WiFi
k0fg

new router problems

Post by k0fg »

Hate to ask this question again but I read dozens of posts and have not found an answer.

Bought a new router after using pi-star on the old one successfully for a couple years. Got the new router setup and can use the mmdvm zero w hotspot with it running pi-star v 4.1.5, or the newest version whatever it is. Trying to figure out how to connect to different wi-fi systems while traveling and staying at motels, friends houses, etc.

I did a system reset on the old router, that would make it a new wi-fi system, then plugged it in and let it boot up, connected the pc to the wi-fi just fine. On the available wi-fi connections I see one called pi-star, not pi-star-setup, but just pi-star. Cannot connect to it, tried every password I've used in the past 2 years, including the default. Go to a browser and try using http://pi-star.local/ --- no joy, said cannot find it. But the hotspot is flashing a rapid red light, which I think means it is connected to a wi-fi system.

If I put a wpa-supplicant file on the sd card pointing to the old router then it connects to the old router ok. But then when I change back to the new router it does the same kind of routine, can't connect no matter what, unless I put a wpa file on the sd card pointing to the new router, then it connects .

Cannot find a way to connect to the hotspot unless I use a wpa file and that is not good when traveling.

The hotspot shows it is connected, and pi-star shows on the available wi-fi systems available but cannot connect.

AP is turned on, at least it was last time I got connected to the hotspot.

Fred, K0FG
k0fg

Re: new router problems

Post by k0fg »

If I burn a new image to sd card the AP kicks in and gives me a pi-star-setup option in available wi-fi and I go thru the setup routine and connect just fine to router A. Then I turn off everything, boot the cable modem, boot router B, boot pi-star. Get the pi-star-setup wi-fi and connect to the pi-star. Then I go to the wi-fi info area, scan for new wi-fi and it finds router B. But no matter what I do it will not connect to router B wi-fi. Enter info for router B, click on save and connect, then click on power and let the hotspot reboot - no wi-fi connection.

Shut off everthing, burn a new pi-star image to the sd card. Reboot everything just like before only this time router B is plugged in. Get the pi-star-setup and connect to router B. All is well. Then I turn off everything, reboot it all but this time I have router A in line. And now I cannot connect to router A.

I connect fine to whichever router is online when I use a fresh image of pi-star on the sd card. But I can never change routers and connect pi-star to a different wi-fi unless I burn a new image before trying to connect.

Fred, K0FG