Wifi password getting truncated

Help setting up WiFi
KI7YNI

Wifi password getting truncated

Post by KI7YNI »

So my wifi password is 63 characters and any time I edit it using the web interface, such as to add another wifi, it is getting cut to 53 characters, which makes it not work. So is there a way to make it not do that or can it be fixed?
KB8AOB

Re: Wifi password getting truncated

Post by KB8AOB »

Perhaps a shorter password
KI7YNI

Post by KI7YNI »

My Access point allows 63 chars so Im going to use 63 chars. Plus I'd have to go rekey all my devices for one device that has an issue.
KB8AOB

Post by KB8AOB »

Okay, enjoy.
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

A suggestion may be to edit the wpa_supplicant file in expert mode instead. What I mean is in your web interface go to configuration -> Expert -> wifi (second row under full editors).

copy an entire section from

Network { to the ending } and add a new network this way. click the apply button at the bottom of the window to save the changes.

it may be that when the GUI form was built they put a max characters limit on it thinking that no one would have a password that long, how you remember a password of 63 characters is a wonder, but that is a bit long, however if security is THAT important to you, this would be my suggestion.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
KI7YNI

Post by KI7YNI »

Oh, thanks for that. I will do it that way then.

I program the password to an RFID chip so to program my android devices I just have to tap it and it reads it in, adding it. If I can't such as a laptop or iphone I have an app on my phone to read the RFID chip and display the contents so I just hand copy it.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

I'll have a look and see if/why we truncate it in the config portion.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

MW0MWZ wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:51 am I'll have a look and see if/why we truncate it in the config portion.
I use a 63 character WPA PSK which was imported via the wpa_supplicant.conf in the boot partition method, that certainly worked with 3.4.11 so I would say it's going to be something in the WiFi handling part of the dashboard.
--

Brian G8SEZ