SSID name and password

Help setting up WiFi
M6HJX

SSID name and password

Post by M6HJX »

Hi,
I'm about to build a hotspot using an MMDVM HS hat, a raspberry pi zero w and pi star.
I'm hearing that Pi Star doesn't cope with a WiFi SSID or password with non alpha numeric characters in it. Is this true? is there anyway around it, apart from the obvious one of changing the SSID and / or password?
The reason I ask is on one of the WiFi networks I intend to use I have no control of the the login credentials.

Thanks, Neil.
W1KMC

Re: SSID name and password

Post by W1KMC »

I've read that too, on FB group people say just change it. I said exactly your situation, no control over the creds.

I have not tried myself as I don't need to, but I would say , from a different network (cell perhaps) get into config->Expert->WiFi and copy the Network { ... } section and the substitue the other system's creds and change idstr='0' and Priority=100 to 1 and 99 respectively.

I would say it doesn't like certain (not all) special characters I'm guessing anything thatwould interfere with the quoytes, brackets, and wierd non-ascii characters.

Make sure you click Apply at the bottom.

Then try it on the other network.

I am no linux or pi-star expert but if the router assigned the password and no one ever changed it then anything should work, but if someone used hyroglyphics from the character map to make it impossible for breakins, the you mak be out of luck here.

Good Luck
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
M6HJX

Post by M6HJX »

Thanks for that. the only non alphanumeric character I can't change is a - I might get away with that one.
We'll see!
Neil.
Dk6hp

Post by Dk6hp »

The password "raspberry" does Not Work with the AP "pi-star setup". What ist the correct Password?
Thank you for you help.
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

That is the correct password for the Pi-Star-Setup access point.

If it doesn't work, one thing to try is downloading the most recent version of the Pi-Star image. There was an Auto AP issue with version 3.4.15 and the early image of version 3.4.16. The issue caused various problems, one of which was a problem logging in using the default password to connect to Pi-Star-Setup AP. The issue was fixed in the V3.4.16 image released Aug 10th, which is currently available via http://www.pistar.uk/downloads/: Pi-Star_RPi_V3.4.16_10-Aug-2018.zip.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
G0RAU

Post by G0RAU »

I had this issue using an iPhone 6s. It was named Dave's iPhone and the SSID showed up on a scan but the would not go into the box when selected.
I renamed the phone leaving out the apostrophe and it worked straight away.

Interestingly, in earlier attempts to connect, I used my wife's iPhone 7 and although that also had an apostrophe in her name it connected but in Pi-star it changed the apostrophe into other characters and worked without problems.
SP2GCH

Post by SP2GCH »

Hello. Can anyone tell me how to change from the default WiFi AP "pi-star" to some other and I would like to change the password which default is "raspberry" and I want to have a different one. How to do it?
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

SP2GCH wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:07 pm Hello. Can anyone tell me how to change from the default WiFi AP "pi-star" to some other and I would like to change the password which default is "raspberry" and I want to have a different one. How to do it?
So far as I know, the WiFi ACCESS POINT SSID is based upon the hostname of the unit, with "-setup" appended (and is only used if the unit is unable to connect to a WiFi router).

I'm not certain if the WiFi password is configured separately from the login account.

The hostname and pi-star login password can be changed from the configuration page. You will not, however, be able to change the user login name.

Code: Select all

General Configuration
Setting 	Value
Hostname: pi-star-3b	Do not add suffixes such as .local

Code: Select all

Remote Access Password
User Name	Password
pi-star 	Password: 		Confirm Password:

WARNING: This changes the password for this admin page
AND the "pi-star" SSH account

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

SP2GCH wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:07 pm Hello. Can anyone tell me how to change from the default WiFi AP "pi-star" to some other and I would like to change the password which default is "raspberry" and I want to have a different one. How to do it?
Someone once posted that there is a way. I never tried it, so proceed at your own risk. I also don't know if this change would survive a pistar-update:
viewtopic.php?t=850

Also, Andy, the developer, had this to say at one point:
Changing the password does not currently change the password for Auto AP mode - that needs adding to the dashboard - and is coming soon...
viewtopic.php?t=433#p1542

However, mileage may vary on "coming soon"! ;)
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
SP2GCH

Post by SP2GCH »

Thank you for your answer. I have just read the topics you provided and I do not change them yet, although I am tempted, but when I configure the second HotSpot I will try to install it again from scratch. I will test and I will let you know :)