Not able to connect to IPhone Hotspot

Help setting up WiFi
AA6IO

Not able to connect to IPhone Hotspot

Post by AA6IO »

My Zumspot readily connects to my home WiFi and to my ATT Netgear Hotspot. However, cannot get it to connect to Iphone Hotspot. FW on Iphone is 11.3.1 When I go into configuration to add new WiFi, my Zumspot readily sees the IPhone Hotspot and I enter that SSID and password. However, after multiple attempts, the Zumspot will not connect. Been trying for two days. I have my ATT Netgear with SSID SMS Hotspot and password ......., and readily connects. I have IPhone SSID with the one automatically provided, in my case, ssherman IPHONE and password ....... and nothing happens. Scan the IPhone hotspot using Net Analyzer and see nothing for Pi-Star. When do the same for Netgear Hotspot, readily see Pi-Star with address 192,169.1.x

Any ideas why won't connect to IPhone hotspot? Please advise. Thank you.
AA6IO

Re: Not able to connect to IPhone Hotspot

Post by AA6IO »

Just saw threads specific to WIFi. Pretty new to pi-star forum. Will review those threads first. Thank you.
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

AA6IO wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:28 pm Any ideas why won't connect to IPhone hotspot? Please advise. Thank you.
Pi-Star seems sensitive to special characters in passwords (and may even access point name).

You'll likely find lots of threads mentioning this.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

Yep, and in addition to special characters, spaces in the network name (SSID) definitely can cause problems, so you might want to try renaming your iPhone SSID.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
AA6IO

Post by AA6IO »

Well, I changed my SSID from ........ IPhone to just my call AA6IO, and pi-star recognizes IPhone hotspot right away. Instead of playing around for 2 days trying to make it work, I should know by now to come straight to this Pi-star Forum. Thanks to those who responded and previous posts in Wi-Fi thread.
Regards
Steve
wa2ang

Post by wa2ang »

Just purchased a Zumspot/pi zero hardware setup and I want to know if I can connect my IPhone 8 hotspot to the Zumspot for a portable/ mobile operation. If this is possible how can I find some instruction on setup
Thanks
Tom